Question about lunge modification

Colia

Banned
Hi Cathe!

Hope you and family are happy and healthy. I am really enjoying your new tapes so much - they really seem like live classes! I feel kind of nutty because I'm talkin back atcha constantly! :) I've started the Slow and Heavy series and really enjoy the control I have at this lower pace. I'm still rehabbing from major knee surgery and while I'm gaining good strength, I'm still having trouble with lunges. When the knee is posterior, bending it in that position is terribly painful to my kneecap,posteriorly (there is unfortunately no cartilage left there). I've tried a couple of modifications: 1) do a much more shallow lunge, but still painful, 2) keep the back leg in a more extended position, still keeping the front knee behind toe, which is a bit awkward, but much less painful. If you have any other thoughts, suggestions, substitutions for these moves, I'd be grateful. As always, thanks so much for coming up with such great workouts, and being so fun to workout with!

Cheers!
Colia

Hi Colia! When it comes to rehab it is so important to address these questions to your doctor. I would not want to see you suffer any set backs. When I was recovering from knee surgery, some pain was a good sign and some pain was a bad sign. This all was related to the nature of my surgery. Only your doctor can make those medical decisions for you. I hope you have a safe and full recovery. Good Luck!

From another knee surgery club member

Hi Colia--
I just wanted to pass on something my physical therapist said to me a few weeks ago, which was "if you never did another lunge for the rest of your life, you could still have very strong legs and your knees might be a little happier." In her opinion, which I totally respect, lunges are very hard on your knee, and there are equally good ways to strengthen your quads and hamstrings.

I got this comment from her after I complained that whenever I try to increase the amount of weight I use with lunges (static, front or rear), I always start having more pain in my knees.

My one-year anniversary from my last knee surgery was on Tuesday. I've come a long way, but still feel like I have a long way to go. But then, it's all about the journey, right?

RE: From another knee surgery club member

Your therapist said there are equally good ways to strengthen your quads and hamstrings(other than lunges). What might those be? I'm trying to avoid a reinjury. Thanks!

RE: From another knee surgery club member

Thanks Kimberly H!

I remember when you were going through your surgery - hope you've had a full recovery. I had mine back in January, but couldn't even begin rehab till March. I still don't have full mobility of the joint, but it's coming along and so is the strength. I've come a long way, but like you, have a long way to go - but I agree with you - it's the journey that counts - we just have to be smart about how we travel!

Thanks again!
Colia

alternatives to lunges?

I'm not in the knee surgery club, my physical therapist has also banned lunges for me because of the stress on the hip flexors. She recommended the leg press, leg curls, and leg extensions. I would be interested to see what else is good that doesn't stress the leg the same way as the lunges.

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/pyth.gif Gretchen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.