quad stretch and knee pain

wendyloo

Cathlete
Hi Cathe (and anyone else :) )
When I try to stretch my quads and hip flexors in a side-lying position, it is very uncomfortable on my knees, for some strange reason. I've been standing to do the stretch (in this position it doesn't hurt at all), but tonight at the end of All Step I just flipped over onto my stomach and did the stretch that way. I felt no pain, but just wanted to make sure that this is an ok way to do the quad and hip flexor stretch. In any position I do this stretch, I am keeping my legs aligned, my knees paralell and pointing straight down (or to the wall, depending on whether I'm lying down or standing up), etc, etc. I do kind of wonder why it hurts in the lying down position...
Thanks in advance!
Wendy

I sometimes have the exact same problem. My knees only hurt when doing the quad stretch on the floor on my side. I always ease off on the stretch when that happens, but wonder why it does happen.
Freda

Hi Wendyloo! I can't honestly say that I know why it bothers your knee in this position. But I will say that when you role onto your side and do this stretch, many times your body will wobble a little in order to maintain its balance(since you are only supporting your weight with one arm on the floor as opposed to two). This minor wobble could be just enough instability to case you to pull on your foot in a slightly different way(possibly causing discomfort to your knee joint). Just a thought.

But in any case, the other two positions are perfectly fine for a quad stretch so go ahead and use those instead.

Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.