Pushups

pgun

Cathlete
Cathe

I look forward to the new workouts!! Thanks for the update.

What exercises can I do to make pushups easier? I am so weak that I can't even do them (I haven't been working out regularly like I used to 2 years ago).

Thanks!

I look forward to your new Workouts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penny

Not Cathe here, but in a recent post she recommended negative pushups. This is a cut and paste of what she wrote:

"Hi JuliaBelle! I have to tell you that 8 push ups on your toes is GREAT!!! It really is. That is more than what I typically see in many classes.

I see that you have already gotten advice so let me just add that you can also try doing "negative push ups" to improve your strength. To do this start at the top of your push up position (straight leg up on toes) and lower your body down very slowly (for about 10 seconds down). When you reach the bottom, allow your body to make contact with the floor for a second and then assist yourself back up for another slow descending push up. Note than when you prop yourself back up to the starting position, you are assisting it with bent knees (or however is comfortable) but you are NOT pushing yourself back up the way you typically would.

Working a movement like this, on the negative phase of the contraction, helps to improve strength.

Try doing 2 sets of as many reps as you can like this three times a week. On JUST ONE of those three days, do two sets in the morning and then repeat it again at night. Within three weeks you should see nice improvements.

Good Luck! "

Hope this helps (sorry I don't know how to post a link, so cut and paste was the best I could offer).

Cladue

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Satchel Paige

In addition to Cathe's suggestions from a previous response, you might want to start doing them against the wall (preferably so that you can see them in a mirror- your bathroom). Look to see if you are doing good form (don't look down at your feet). Then start moving to the bench and/or on the floor via your knees. Plank work also helps improve strength, too. For me, protein, as well as concentrating on my chest work. After doing the GS Chest and Tris for about a month (not everyday but part of my rotation) I noticed significant gains. Also, PUB helped a lot. My husband said it is all about leverage- go figure he is a male:) I think it is partly leverage, partly on your positioning, and partly your strength. Try doing them on dumbells if it hurts your wrists.

Good luck:)

Not the original poster but I was wondering the same thing and this sounds interesting. I have not been able to do pushups without bent knees and can't seem to evolve from those type.

Thanks for re-posting this for us!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.