protein for STS?

carolyn3

Cathe,

I'll be starting STS and I'm writing to ask if I should eat some protein before or right after the workout for optimal muscle development and definition. If so, how much?

Thanks, Cathe! I'm so looking forward to doing STS!

Not Cathe but Oxygen Mag has a very good article concerning protein intake. (Mar 2009). It's important to take in protein through out the day according to this article (Time Your Protein).

You can calculate the amount of protein that you body needs by
Convert your weight from pounds to kg by dividing your weight in pound by 2.2, then multiply that number by 1.5. This will show you how much grams of protein your body need to build lean muscles.

Last edited:
not cathe, but i always have a protein shake after i lift. when you lift weights you tear apart the muscle and protein helps to repair it and make it stronger....

Thanks for the info! I appreciate learning what others have learned (any other input out there?) and I'd also like to hear from Cathe herself. Thanks.

Protein

I read in Tosca Reno's Eat Clean book that the body can only process 25 grams of protein per meal. I noticed some of the protein shakes have double that. I use one scoop for the 25 grams.
Not sure if this helps but I had a disagreement with a sales rep saying that protein shakes make you fat! I did understand that after the 25 grams per meal since your body doesn't use it, it could turn to stored fat but to say that all protein shakes makes you fat is not correct!

My chiropractor who has background in nutrition and exercise says the same thing. She says though, that the body can handle up to 30g of protein before converting anything above that into stores later.

She also said that taking in a complete protein within 20 to 30 minutes after teh workout allows for maximum muscle repair and growth.

I've been faithfully doing that every morning after my workout I have a 30g protein shake. I add some flax, since it is supposed to help in the fatburing process and is good for you for many other reasons and I don't eat enough fat through the day. It has worked very well for me, I kind of look at it as a jumpstart for the day, after all the body has not been getting any nutrition for about 12 hours.

I hope that helps.

Women's Health says it's either 20 gms. or 25 gms. (I forget which) as well. Not necessarily that any amount over that coverts to fat, but that the body can't process more than that at once (which makes many protein supplements just supplements for expensive pee!).

I love to read all the "muscle" magazines at the grocery store and the book store - and not the women's magazines but the men's. You get the BEST form tips from these monster guys. And I covet all the food they get to eat. . .

Anyway - all of them say whey protein within 30 minutes of a lifting session. That is considered the BEST. However - here is my problem with whey protein - and I have tried my best with it. FIRST - it gives me horrible indigestion. I would have to swig apple cider vinegar to digest it. But more importantly - SECOND - I have found that most whey products contain aspartame or high fructose corn syrup and other such toxic substances. The guy at the GNC tried to convince me that it was just a "little bit" so it was okay. Sheesh. I was so surprised when I found out the ingredients of most whey protein - and then there is the horrible indigestion - that I have now changed to soy protein - and it is from Whole Foods - not toxic, artificial CRAP. And only 24 grams per scoop - so I have a one scoop shake after working out.

I find that I have better muscle growth - less soreness - oh and I don't eat as much after. I work out in the evening, and my protein drink (which is probably about 200 - 250 calories total depending on what I mix it with) dulls my appetite for the evening so I don't want as much dinner.

I highly recommend the practice - and all the muscle mags agree.

Just some thoughts for you.

Lisa

I like Jay Robb's whey protein (jayrobb.com). It is sweetened with stevia and contains no artificial colors or flavors. I discovered it in my local grocery store when trying to find a whey protein supplement that did not contain aspartame or sucralose.

Recipe for protein shake?

Since we're talking protein shakes, maybe someone could suggest a recipe? I've tried them in the past, but I can never get my recipe right - it always tastes like crap! :confused: Plus, I never know if I'm using the right balance of ingredients or too much of the powder (I have a soy protein powder). If anyone feels like sharing, I'd really appreciate it!! :D

My protein shake

I was actually just sipping on my shake right now.

I usually put in 1 scoop protein, 1/2 cup soy milk, one banana and 1/2 cup frozen berries. I find that the type of protein powder really can affect the taste. I find that brown rice protein is terrible, egg white good and soy okay.
I have lactose intolerance and was just recently diagnosed with celiac disease, so finding good sources of protein besides meat is a bit more difficult.
I live in Canada and I find that there are limited protein powders available that are whey and gluten free.
The egg one I have has some sucrolose in it but that was the best that I could get.
If anyone had any suggestions I would appreciate that!
That's my two cents

I belong to a local CSA farm so I get fresh, organic, locally grown fruits and veggies delivered every week. Even though there are just two of us, I get the large box so I spend the summer making tomato sauce and chopping and freezing fruits and corn to eat all winter!

With that said, my protein shake is usually 1/2 cup soy milk, 1/2 to one scoop protein powder, a drop of vanilla (non-alcohol based), and some of the frozen fruit from the summer. If I'm feeling a strong need for sweet - which can happen TOO often, I will add a tiny bit of raw agave nectar. Sometimes I add half a banana if I feel my legs cramping up (particularly after GS-Legs).

I find that brown rice protein is terrible, egg white good and soy okay.
I hear you on the rice protein. A very UNterrible rice-based protein powder is SunWarrior. I've been using that, and I mistakenly thought maybe all rice protein powders were similar, so I got some samples of others and yuk! (Though I've had some mixes--rice + pea and sometimes hemp--and they weren't bad).

You can also try yellow pea or hemp-based protein powders.
The best-tasting hemp is Nutiva, IMO.
Yellow pea is a rather neutral-tasting powder.

Check out the offerings at www.veganessentials.com (they will ship to Canada). All of their powders are whey free, and most are gluten free, I think. Also, many of them are available in trial 1-serving packs.

Nitrofusion is good as well (let's say it tastes good, but the texture is kind of finely-ground sand. Easy to hide in a thicker shake). It also contains artichoke as one of the proteins.

Raw Power has Brazil nut powder (a good source of selenium) as one of its ingredients. It is one of the more 'healthy-tasting' ones, though (ie: tastes kind of 'green and brown', LOL!)

I personally like to change up my protein sources for my smoothies (though I'm kind of stuck on Sun Warrior for now!).

Since we're talking protein shakes, maybe someone could suggest a recipe? I've tried them in the past, but I can never get my recipe right - it always tastes like crap! :confused: Plus, I never know if I'm using the right balance of ingredients or too much of the powder (I have a soy protein powder). If anyone feels like sharing, I'd really appreciate it!! :D

I usually just toss stuff together, but here are some 'recipes' I've used lately:

12 oz. chocolate soy milk
1 -1 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Sun Warrior)
(optional: 1 pack thawed açaí pulp and optional squeeze of raw agave nectar)

12 oz. brewed Celestial Seasonings Almond Sunset desert tea (warm)
1 - 1 1/2 scoops vanilla protein powder (tastes kind of mocha-y).
(This adds flavor with no calories).

12 oz. vanilla rice milk
handful of frozen fruit (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries--for strawberries, thaw them a bit by running under hot water, they are notoriously hard to blend when frozen)
scoop of vanilla protein powder
squeeze of agave

12 oz. chocolate soy milk
1/3 frozen banana
scoop of chocolate protein powder
+/- Tablespoon of maca powder
+/- 1/2 Tbs of chia seeds

You'll notice I don't use water or ice in my smoothies. Ice is too cold for my many crowns! And I don't like to dillute the good stuff. If needed, I'll add some water when I get to the end of the smoothie, if there's some thick stuff in the bottom of the glass.

Thanks

Thanks Kathyn

It's great to hear about a powder that someone has actually tried and liked. Thanks for the website too. It's always a shot in the dark if the site actually is reputable as well. I will definitely be trying it! Right now I have egg whites at breakfast and in my protein shake.... so it would be nice to change things up a bit!

Heather

One caveat: the chocolate and vanilla SunWarrior are good. The "natural" is not so good (it needs lots of extras to hide the flavor!).

I'm really fond of Nature's Way Metabolic Reset. It's made from whey protein & sweetened w/Stevia. I blend mine using soymilk, nonfat kefir, a little crushed ice & whatever i have for fruit du jour ;) I really enjoy my smoothies. They're very satisfying. I give the brand high marks. :)

So I still wonder...what is the recommended protein intake when you're doing the STS series?

I don't really do Protein powders, but I eat a lot of protein rich foods throughout the day: FF Greek Yogurt, FF Cottage Cheese, FF Cheese slices, Seafood chunks, and leftover plain/lean meat. I actually added up the other day and came up with 180 g of protein! In one day!

What SHOULD you be taking in?

Kathryn, thank you for the recipes. The one with the tea sounded good, so I bought some while I was out today. However, I couldn't remember the exact kind, so I ended up getting the Celestial Seasonings honey vanilla white tea chai. I mixed it with vanilla protein powder and it was delicious!

Thanks again.

Michelle

What SHOULD you be taking in?
You can get a lot of different opinions on that, but I think 1 gm of protein for every kilo or body weight (2.2 pounds) to 1 gm for every pound of lean body weight (body weight - fat weight) is a good range.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.