Power Hour or PS Series?

ellenellen

Cathlete
I have PSLA. I have preordered Power Hour. Will I get different results from these two very different kinds of workouts? And what are those results likely to be? I understand that PS is slower and heavier and Power Hour is faster and lighter. But what is the benefit of those two very different kinds of weight training? And why do I need both?

Thanks!

Well I'm not an expert - here's what I DO know. The slow and heavy is best for gaining muscle stregth. Fast and light lifting increases muscle endurance.

Strength gains allow you to add muscle so you burn more calories at rest since muscles require more calories to sustain then fat does. Fast and light lifting helps to tone muscles.

That's the short and skinny of it---I'm sure someone else can elaborate more then I can.

Dawn W

Your input is very much appreciated!

So does "strength gains" mean big muscles? And does "endurance" mean long thin muscles? I have to admit I've always been strong and able to lift or carry anything I wanted. So I'm basically strength training for looks!

What I want is to look as toned and sleek as my body type will allow! And my body type is a WARRIOR! Picture Zena!

What will work best for you will depend on your genetics. Since you gain muscle easy you will probably want to concentrate more on light and fast with more reps. Although personally I wouldn't neglect the slow and heavy. Both types of work are usually recommended for everyone, it's just finding the right combination that you'll have to play with.

My legs gain strength easily, but my upper body does not, so for me I go usually go heavy for upper body and ocassionally go light. I usually go light for lower body and ocassionally go heavy. Unfortunitly there is not a magic formula that works for everyone.

That's my two cents - Anybody else want to add theirs?

Good Luck,

Dawn W

Hello,
I am so thrilled I checked out this site! I really like how the forum is set up and you actually do answer back! The power hour workout looks awesome...I was checking out the other postings because I havent used DVDs for exercising before and I have to say...Wow! seems like the possibilities are endless! You have some real strong people on this forum too by the amount of weights they lift! I cant wait!!!

cksales

The answer is YES...They are selling both the DVDs (12 pack or 9 pack) and the tapes...Have fun shopping. You can send an e-mail to Jack or Cindy at [email protected].

Are they still open? I used to buy from them but I thought they were closed. I typed www.cksales.com but I got something that looked like a car website! :confused: I sure would like to know how to reach them because they were the only canadian vendor that I knew of and with the decrease of the canadian dollar, purchasing in US dollars is starting to get expensive!!!
Nathalie

Hi Natalie,

I think you meant to answer my question (the one you quote was posted back in 2001). My question pertains to Cathe's answer to the question on relative benefits of muscle endurance vs. strength training. She refers to her answer elsewhere, but I cannot get to that link.

Is there a way to reach this link now or does it point to CK sales web page? Perhaps I should re-ask the original question that Cathe refers to rather than trying to track her answer that exists somewhere?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-01 AT 10:42AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Ellenellen! I just tapped into this answer a bit on another question. Here is a link:

http://64.225.138.194/dcforum/CatheForum/3359.html

If you have any further questions, please ask :)!

Is there a way to reach this link now or does it point to CK sales web page? Perhaps I should re-ask the original question that Cathe refers to rather than trying to track her answer that exists somewhere?

I can't get it to work either! I was really interested in Cathe's answer, too.

Fire in the Thighs!

Funny you ask this question, as I just did Power Hour last night. I've been alternating splits (like PS and Slow & Heavy) for a few weeks and decided this week to try some total body workouts. I actually forgot what a great workout Power Hour is! I tried to match Cathe's weights during the exercises, and I felt a serious burn on each muscle. The two leg sections (squats and lunges) are so tough. Towards the end, Cathe says she feels "fire in the thighs" but I had already been feeling that since the beginning of the song!

Enjoy this workout. For me, it went very fast, and I loved changing from slow & heavy-type lifting to pure endurance. I really felt my muscles working. And I actually couldn't believe Cathe was only using a 15 lb barbell for biceps, until I got into the song and my muscles were screaming at me!

Have a great day!
Dawn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.