Pound of Fat/Pound of Muscle

mbatson

Hi -- I'm in several other groups and we've been discussing how muscle is more dense and heavy than fat, which explains why you can weigh more and still look better due to muscle. But I've consulted all my weight books and all the fAQ pages I can find on several web pages and can't find a good answer for their question -- that being, how much mass, or size difference is there between a pound of muscle and a pound of fat? Can you actually say answer this specifically? Seems like it might depend on the person, i'm not sure.
If anyone has an answer, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks
Mary

Thanks for pulling up that old thread, Nikki. I read the whole thing and I am shocked at how obsessive we, as women can be about numbers. When I see Cathe in one of her videos, I think first of all, “man, she’s fit!”, then I think what a great defined shape she has—I don’t see her weight or her size tattooed anywhere on her body. I have no idea, of course but I’m willing to bet Cathe weighs a lot more than her tiny size shows. When someone meets you (the generic you, no one in particular, of course) they DON’T see either your clothing size or your weight, they just look at you and think, hmmm “she probably works out”. Weight and clothing sizes are irrelevant numbers.

Sorry this is a bit preachy but this is one of my biggest peeves and I just had to get it off my chest.

Whew, I feel better! : )

Thanks for the information I'll check it out. I don't think the people in this discussion are that concerned about the size -- but they would like to know the answer! Thanks again --
Mary

Yvonne,

Until we get the freaks who are in charge of the images imposed on us to show us pictures of woman who look like we do and NOT tall, extremely thin woman, we will continue to look at ourselves and find ourselves wanting! Even Health magazine,one of my favorites, had an article about a woman who described herself as 5'2" and 155 (or close to that)but ran a photo of an at least 5'7" and probably 115 pound woman. I am 38 and only recently have I learned not only to accept my body, but to SEE my body for what it is. Perhaps not perfect but so fit and strong; how can I not love it? (And I still have my bad days). That's one of the things I love about this forum-so many shapes and sizes and ages and fitness levels, so much wisdom and support. No neurosis allowed!
Bobbi
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.