Pound of Fat/Pound of Muscle

mbatson

Hi -- I'm in several other groups and we've been discussing how muscle is more dense and heavy than fat, which explains why you can weigh more and still look better due to muscle. But I've consulted all my weight books and all the fAQ pages I can find on several web pages and can't find a good answer for their question -- that being, how much mass, or size difference is there between a pound of muscle and a pound of fat? Can you actually say answer this specifically? Seems like it might depend on the person, i'm not sure.
If anyone has an answer, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks
Mary

If this helps any, when I was 19 I weighed around 125-130 and was a size 8. Now I'm 27 and still a size 8 but weigh around 151. The difference, muscle mass! It's amazing how much muscle actually weighs, but it proves it's more compact and denser than fat, and looks a lot better too! Debi

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-01 AT 08:37PM (Est)[/font][p]I won't state it as absolute fact but here is what the FIRM says in their information section. They say that a pound of fat takes up about five times more space in the body as a pound of muscle. I don't know how accurate that is but it's probably a fair assessment of things. It is pretty motivating though isn't it? It makes me want to work out harder.

Take care, Cyndie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.