Is it possible to overwork abs?

missyb70

Cathlete
Hi, Cathe! I have seen several posts over time regarding abs and how often to work them. I know that abs don't fatigue like other muscles so it's not necessary to skip a day inbetween ab work. In the mornings, I do the ab workouts that are part of whatever workout tape I'm doing. With swimsuit season coming up quickly, this weekend I started doing a short ab routine in the evenings as well. What is your opinion on abs? Is it possible to overwork abs or am I okay working them twice a day? Thanks, Cathe!!

Hi Missyb! The abs can handle more frequent training but like any muscle group in the body, if it is sore from a previous workout, take a day to let it recover. I personally do not find it necessary to work the abs more than three to four times per week. As for working them two times a day, I don't think it is necessary if you gave it your all in the first workout. Take Care!

I compleely trust your opinion, it's just that I have VERY flabby abs (unlike you whose abs I would die for!) I know, I know, a combination of eating healthy, doing aerobics and lifting weights will get rid of the flab eventually, but I guess I was hoping that if I worked the heck out of my abs I'd see results sooner. Thanks for the info and for responding so quickly!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.