PLB neck injury - How can I avoid???

RhiannonW

Cathlete
After doing PLB I get a painful, stiff neck. I think it's from the leg presses. I suspect I'm leaning too far forward on the step ups so I've tried substituting dumbbells. Because the dumbbells are heavy(18 lbs each)in order to feel the work, my elbows lock out and my shoulders get fried from trying to keep my elbows from locking out. I can do squats with the same weight without problem.
My goal is to poof up my glutes, so I want to feel the work deep.
Should I use less weight on the leg presses? Eliminate them and just do squats? Any tips for me?

Is it possible to use PLB as a muscle mass developing workout by taking longer breaks between sets, using heavier weight and slowing down the pace?

Thank you for your time.

I found the same thing, and for me, I think it was from hoisting up a heavy barbell quickly and frequently, and also just having the barbell sitting across the back of the shoulders with arms tensed to hold the thing for such a relatively long period of time. I've done much better by using dumbbells that I lie across my shoulders, ala Firm. Shoulders are not at that forced angle, arms are comfortable and not feeling like I might injure myself hoisting up the barbell so quickly. Not had the trouble since.

Best of luck!
Colia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.