Plantar Faciistis

Alex1004

Cathlete
Good Morning Cathe and other Catheites,

I am currently suffering from plantar f, so high impact aerobics are out. What do you and others recommend so i don't lose my cardio endurance. I have been hitting the stationary bike, but need a more comfortable seat. I have been alternating between upper body and lower body workouts daily until my condition heals, which is actually taking a LOT longer than I expected.

So basically my questions are: what are some exercise recommendations that I can do and i also need suggestions for a more comfortable seat for my exercise bike(ouch!!).

Thanks in advance. I know you are busy and I welcome suggestions from anyone. I am DESPERATE

Thanks Again.

Alex 1004, formerly known as Yvonne

Hi Alex,

I too have plantar fasciitis. I tried to do lower impact exercises, but it didn't really help and I am a high intensity cardio junkie/runner so each day that I did less or tried to stop killed me :)

I went to a podiatrist and honestly it was the best thing I ever did. I know people debate the efficacy of orthotics, but he fitted me for a pair specific for athletic/high impact use. My orthodics, coupled with stretching, have basically eliminated the problem.
I do feel occasional pain, but mostly due to me wearing ballet shoes (a no-no for a flat foot like me, but so comfortable I can't resist). My orthotics are only for my sneakers, so I can't wear them in my everyday shoes. I might consider getting another "dress" pair.

If you don't want to go down that route, I would suggest stretching the calf muscle regularly (particularly in the mornings and after activity), ice, some type of anti-inflammatory (aleve or advil), and cross training. My doctor did not recommend I change my routine at all (e.g., alternative exercises), just suggested the tips above.

Here is a link to some stretching exercises (all recommended by my doctor):
http://www.plantarfasciitisbraces.com/plantar_fasciitis_stretching_exercises.html

You could also try a night splint (that didn't work for me because it just was too hot).

Hope this info helps a little!

Thanks, I did go to the Podiatrist and got a cortizone shot in the affected area which did help and I too have the night splint. He told me for aerobics to use the stationary bike (OUCH). I, too, have been fitted for orthodics. Thank you for your suggestions and the website.

Take Care

Hi,

I have this chronic problem also, and I bought an Urban Rebounder for my high impact moves. I absolutely love it! It has helped immensely, and I can still get my heart rate up into an anaerobic zone if I choose. I just did the bonus combo from ME/BC this morning, and used my rebounder for all the cardio sections!

I also have orthotics ( Spenco) and switched from cross training shoes to good running shoes for all my aerobic activities.

Good luck to you, this is something that may pop up here and there, but it CAN be effectively controlled.

I also have PF. I have found that while step seems to cause problems in my foot, Kickboxing does not. Jumps don't bother it, but quick direction changes (like triples around the step) and stepping down off the step do. So there may be some other moves you can do. But I first had to let it rest for a while to let the initial inflammation go away. Now it feels much better and I am able to do more step again. I'm still wearing sneakers and orthotics all day long...I'm afraid to try wearing other shoes now that it has stopped hurting for the most part.

I got a lot of pain relief from icing it by rolling my foot over a frozen water bottle. (while wearing a sock on my foot) The stretches and the splint never really seemed to help me much.

As for the bike seat, I had the same problem. What has helped a lot is to buy padded bike shorts. I got them at Sports Authority for about $25. They make it much more bearable.

Good luck...I know how frustrating it can be!!!

I wouldn't be able to function without some type of insoles (my feet are nearly completely flat). I have custom orthotics in one pair of shoes but the insoles I rely on mostly are the one's I got from the New Balance store and they work just as well. Without insoles, I would be in constant pain; with them, just the occasional twinge. Good luck.

I too had PF from wearing unsupportative shoes all the time and I have flatter than flat feet. I went to the Dr had shots and everything and NOTHING worked. But what did end up working was getting a pair of Dansko clogs and wearing them as much as I could. They put my feet in proper alignment and my feet stopped hurting. I was able to go back to regular shoes after a period of time and now I stay away from unsupportative shoes. Good Luck!

I too have had PF and could not wear the night splint. I move way too much and it got stuck on everything. plus it was incredibly uncomfortable and no sleep was not a fair tradeoff.
I know you have likely been told the opposite, but walking barefoot a while each day on carpeted floorstretches me out nicely. I have medium high arches and got the last PF from doing the one legged jumps in KPC. so now I jump on both feet and make sure I do a little barefoot time. Not major mileage but a little shoe free time every day keeps me pain free.

Re the exercise bike. IMO, wide cushiony bike seats are the problem especially the ones that dip in a bowl shape. I sawed the sides off the seat to give it a narrower profile. (I have an older bike with an unchangeable seat or I'd have bought a narrow one) I drape a towel over to cover the rough edges. Wide seats push my legs too wide, spread my butt cheeks( sorry, TMI ) and don't let me sit in a comfortable, slightly leaned forward posture. I've never needed padded shorts for an exercise bike but do for road/ mountain bikes. so by all means give them a try. If you look at the seats of bike people who ride a lot you won't see a wide seat anywhere.

I know you have likely been told the opposite, but walking barefoot a while each day on carpeted floorstretches me out nicely. I have medium high arches and got the last PF from doing the one legged jumps in KPC. so now I jump on both feet and make sure I do a little barefoot time. Not major mileage but a little shoe free time every day keeps me pain free.

That's interesting, because it is the opposite for me. I have very high arches, and walking around barefoot really makes my foot hurt more. And the jumps in KPC don't bother me at all. Another example of how everyone is different! But it's good to keep trying different things to see what works!

I bought my rebounder on Ebay, but you can get it at Dicks, etc.

I will say this, don't be tempted by the cheaper ones. This is one piece of equipment that you really will get what you pay for.
I love mine!

I developed severe PF after we moved into our current apartment. It has cement floors, and I grew up on wood floors with sub flooring. Using the treadmill made it worse.

I went the podiatrist route too with shots, orthotics, a lot of aleve.

Stretching the calves and the hamstrings will help in the long term, but won't give you instant relief. Good shoes which fit properly and provide good support are really important too. I can't wear mules or a lot of high heels.

I found the eliptical machines at the Y were really great. My feet had no complaints at all with the eliptical. I didn't like the bikes, but I have heard spinning classes are very engaging.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.