Plain old Walking

lay

I'm in college and, of course, the weight seems to be coming on a tad since I often eat junk instead of "real" meals, and I cut a day off my workout schedule (down to 3 cardio, 2 toning days). Anyway, my question is about walking...

If I walk to class (20 mins each way) instead of driving, will this help any? I'm not going to power walk, but 1 way is up a big hill. Do I need to have a higher heart rate to burn calories, or does any activity count?

Thanks!

Hi Lay :)

I'm no Cathe, and don't possess the extensive knowledge she does by any stretch. Hopefully she'll find time to chime in and give you more professional advise. :) Of course, aerobic activity in combination with a challenging weight routine is your best defense in avoiding weight gain. If you're still working out 3 times a week and performing strength twice, you may want to intensify those days a bit to compensate for cutting back a day. In terms of walking each way, anything you do that burns calories is going to work in your benefit. I'm no expert, but I've always heard in terms of weight loss, a calorie burned is a calorie burned, so whether it's through vigorous exercise, or added daily activity, you're still using energy (calories) regardless. Just my .02 :)

I've found that added daily activity not only burns calories, but also increases your endurance. Since I've started doing a lot of short, slow hikes with fifth-graders, I've noticed a big difference in my endurance and leg strength. Walk everywhere!

:) Gretchen

Hi Lay! Niclyf is absolutely right. And if you can also "try" to make better food choices you'll be that much more ahead of the game. I know, I know, that is near impossible as a college student (at least it was for me back then). Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.