piriformis syndrome

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
Cathe, I've been running and doing your tapes for 3+ years.(I love them!)In the last 3 weeks, i've added 1 mile to my running. I have also developed a deep pain in my butt. i have done a little research and it all points to piriformis syndrome. I got some stretches to do, I noticed most of thease you do in your cool downs. I also notice the pain in some heavy lifting. Any other advice other than stretching and rest? I have no pain down my leg. It doesn't hurt to run, just afterwards and sometimes the following day. Thank you! Kay

Hi Kay...not Cathe....but I have had piriformis. I feel heavy lifting can make this worse so no weights or light weights is better. Just avoid anything that makes it hurt. Also if you can find a massage therapist familiar with piriformis syndrome they can help a GREAT deal, but it can be very painful to massage out. You can also self massage with a tennis ball. Put a tennis ball on a hard surface and sit the sore part of your tush on it. Then do circles massaging for a few minutes a day. I hope this helps and that your pain diminishes quickly...:)

Carol, Thanks for the info. I found some stretches to do, it reaaly pulls on the muscle, but it does feel a little better afterwards. I was talking to my sister today, and she mentioned the tennis ball, I'll give it a try. i decided to take a week or 2 off from running, maybe walk or ride a bike... Thanks again:) Kay

Hi Kay! I am in the same boat. My pain got so bad I could barely walk. I have been getting better with stretching, the tennis ball trick, cutting my mileage in half and trying not to sit too much. I still weight train, I just go easy with the weight. I find I have the most trouble doing dead lifts. I think for me it is just going to take time to go away. I hope we both get better soon! :) Liz

I have also suffered from piriformis syndrome. It's awful! I agree with everything Carole said - easy on the heavy weights, and get a tennis ball. I also got deep tissue sports massages every 2 weeks to help release that area - it helped a LOT. I also went to a Yoga class twice a week, which was wonderful. Now, it doesn't bother me much at all, so I get monthly massages, and go to Yoga once a week. I use the tennis ball or foam roller whenever I feel achey. It's totally manageable - just take it easy for a while and continue stretching. :)

Hi!! I was just at the Dr 2 weeks or so ago for this. Ease off of the heavy lifting and also the high impact for a bit, especially the lateral movement. She gave me some painkillers for when its really bad, but I'm trying not to take them unless its interfering w/ my sleep, which some nights it does. Other than that, it really just needs to be stretched out. I've added a bit more butt/hamstring stretches to the end of my workouts. It was starting to pull at my hamstring as well - compensating for the weakness in my butt. The stretch that has made the most difference for me is lying on my back and crossing the leg of the sore butt over the other knee and bringing them both up. I think Cathe does this in KPC and LG if you don't know what I mean. Massage and the tennis ball/foam roller thing work really well too. Oddly enough the stretches and massages that are the most uncomfortable to do seem to be helping most in my case. That said, don't do it to the point of overwhelming pain, either. My Dr said normally takes 1-2 months to clear up, and it may flare up again from time to time. Said if I want I can go to PT for ultrasound or electrostimulation, but I think I am going to see if I can wait it out. Good luck, and hope you're feel better. A sore booty is no good!!!

Nan

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!! I decided to give running a break and do some stationary biking. The stretches seem to help. But I'm wondering if it is still ok to run and if so, is it better to do more flat work and cut out the hills? I've been doing more upper body work, but will start to incorperate lower body next week! Thanks again for the info everyone:) Kay

Hi,

I too have suffered from piriformis syndrome. Until I got rid of the soreness, I used a hard small roller that was 1.5 inches in diameter and about 3 inches long to massage it three times a day. I stretched 3 times a day in the beginning and now I do yoga and use Eion Finn's Magically hips. That particular combination of stretches has worked miracles for me. You can buy the dvd for less than $15. You do have to be careful because the tightness in the piriformis muscle can cause callaterol muscle tightness and damage; especially if your sciatic nerve runs through the muscle.

JMO but, to speed recovery, I would take a break from running and then reintroduce it gradually. You may see a quicker overall recovery then if you prolong it by adding in running now. For me, hils were a problem.

Tracy

Hi again Kay!

I know it is soooo hard to stop running when you love it! I did cut out hills and stuck with flat work. I was running 30 miles a week and I first stopped running for about a week and then I gradually went back to it very slowly. I added an extra day of rest and cut my mileage to 15 miles a week. Speed training doesn't seem to bother it, so I have still done that. Any time it starts to hurt again, I scale back. I have to admit I let the problem go on for way too long before I stopped running, but it is getting better. As others have said, I think it is an injury that takes a long time to heal. I have tried to be more aware of the types of things that make the pain worse and avoid those things. I think stretching and massage, even if only with a tennis ball, is key.
Good luck!

Liz :)

Liz, thanks for your advice. I don't do the mileage you do, I average 8-12 miles a week. It doesn't bother me when i run, it's afterwards. Thanks again Kay

Just a thought, but if it bothers you after you run, then it is probably irritating or making it inflamed. Doesn't that make sense?

Running isn't the only way to maintain fitness.

Tracy

Update: i haven't run :( since last week, I have been stretching and rolling on my tennis ball, it's feeling better, but I think I'll rest it one more week. I have been doing mostly upper body and stationary biking. Every now and then I feel a pull, but other than that, all is well. Thanks everyone for the info. :) Kay

Kay,

I'm glad you are starting to feel better. Another week or even two will probably do you good. Piriformis syndrome can be difficult to get rid of.

Tracy

YEAH!!! I've been running this past week (3.5 miles/day) and I don't have ANY pain:) All that stretching and rolling around on a tennis ball helped. Thanks everyone for your advice:) Kay

I was curious about how all of you got piriformis syndrome. Is it from too much high impact? From heavy weights?

Thanks,
Marla

Kay! So happy your PF is better!!

Marla..I think most of us have gotten Piriformis Syn from running. But I feel other high impact and weights can aggravate it once you have it...:)

Thanks, Carole. I love all your pictures. How fun that you included your high school pictures. I was a cheerleader, too.

And, by the way, you look awesome.

:)
Marla

Thanks Marla! You are so sweet. I just got the High School ones as the photographer just found the negatives a few weeks ago. I only was a cheerleader as a sophomore. I found Volleyball a lot more fun..:)

I also suffer from it....only when I get it, it tends to tug at my sciatic nerve and cause my sciatica to flare. I noticed mine comes on from the stationary bike, running and plyo. I really don't omit any of those, but when it gets bad, I sometimes modify some of the impact on my rebounder and I roll the spasms out on my Foam Roller which I find works better than the balls. I hope you find a good balance and can work thru it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.