Pain in my butt

tknelsen

Cathlete
Dear Cathe-
I am new to this forum but not to you. I have used several of your videos to help me get back into shape after the births of my first two children. I recently gave birth to my third daughter (she's 3 months old) and I just ordered the CTX series on DVD. During my pregnancy I walked and did pre-natal yoga. After 4 weeks I started working out on beginner-to-intermediate level videos in order to rebuild my fitness level. I am now anxious and ready to lose the last 10lbs. and get back into my jeans.

However, I have what I think may be a problem, and I am afraid to up the intensity of my workouts until I find out what is wrong with my body. About 2 weeks ago I felt a slight pain in my hamstring area - it felt as though I had overworked the muscle (although I am quite sure I did not). The pain started under my right butt muscle (forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology) and extended down the back of my thigh. After a few days I noticed that the pain had not gone away, and in fact was getting worse. Some days after I finish working out I notice that the pain will extend all the way down to my calf muscle.

What could be causing this? A pinched nerve? An injured muscle? Please help - I am afraid to injure myself any further, yet I want to start working out hard!
Thanks for any idea about what could be causing this.
Tracy

Not Cathe.....

Tracy,

If this pain has been around for 2 weeks, I think Cathe would tell you that a trip to the doctor might be in order. DO NOT work out until you have clearance from him/her. This could be a simple pulled muscle, but could be signs of something more serious. A lot of back injuries manifest in just the way you are discribing.

Sounds like sciatica, which can extend form the lower back down to the calf. But a Doctor will be able to diagnose this pain you are experiencing. I had sciatica from 5 months pregnant with my third child. It continued until my baby was around 12 months, but I have since found out that it runs through my family. See your doctor, and stop exercising until you get an answer.

Good Luck !

Anna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.