Pain in chins & ankles

L

LoriS

Hi Cathe (or anyone else who has had this problem)

I want to add walking and running to my exercise schedule. I ususally do step or kickboxing. However, I cannot get past literally 4 blocks without getting pain in my chins and/or in my ankles which run up the sides of my lower leg. If I keep going my legs get that "falling asleep" sensation. I tried new and more supportive shoes and that only helped a little bit.

Are my legs just weak or could there be other reasons?
Thank you so much.

Hi !

Hi Lori,

Here is my 2 cents worth.

First, do at least 10 minutes of stretch and warm up. It heklps get the blood flowing and warms up those legs.

Second, If my shoes have soles that are stiff or the shoes are heavy my shins will ache. I wear light weight and flexible running shoes.

Third, my feet tingle and feel like they are falling asleep if my laces are to tight. I loosen all the strings. and gently tie them.

Hope this helps,
Laura

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-01 AT 03:12PM (Est)[/font][p]Let me add my two cents. Make sure that your shoes are not warn out and have adequate padding. Sometimes reducing the impact helps.

You need to strengthen the muscle on the front of your shin. Gradually increase the distance you walk or run. Many times shin pain is caused by an imbalance between the front and back of the legs.

Listen to your body, if your shin muscle is hurting you give it time to heal. Try an anti-inflamatory and ice and heat. Stretch by flexing and stretching your foot.

1.Sit on the floor,put legs straight infront of you, put the heel of one foot on top of the other foot and push up with the top of bottom foot. Create resistance with the top heel. Do with both sides feet. Repeat how many times and how many sets are good for you.

2. Sit down on an 8 inch step. Place a weight on top of your foot and attempt to lift the foot (Keeping the heel on the floor). Hold onto the weight and create resistance. Repeat as many times and sets as you like. Use whatever weight is good for you.

I agree that you may want to see if your shoes are not too tight. As I have gotten older my feet have "grown." You may want to get fitted by somebody who know what they are doing.

Hope this helps.

Rhonda

Thank you so much all of you for your advise. You made some very good points.!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.