Pain above ankle?

Jessie

Hi Cathe,

You have been so helpful to me in the past, I'm hoping you can help me now!!

I have been kickboxing 3x a week for about a year now, and in the last 2 weeks or so I have been bothered by a pain in the area right ABOVE my right ankle. I do have really flat feet, but thanks to others' advice I am using those Spenco inserts, and have a 2-3 month old pair of Reebok 3D Luminas. Right now even a boxers shuffle is causing problems.

I do have a slight pain on the left side too, so I don't think it's an isolated sprain or anything.

Any suggestions? Should I try out a pair of a more high-top shoe?

I love kickboxing so much, but making it NO impact wouldn't be very fun!!!

Thanks in advance,
Jessica

Rolling ankles

I know you didn't ask me for my two cents and this was directed to Cathe...forgive my butting in.

just sharing what happened to me in the past which resulted in similar pain in the same area...

1. Rolled my ankle (just a little twist) and didn't stay off it long enough to heal. It spread up my leg until I had to take two weeks off due to a sore achilles, ankle, and knee.

2. Shin splints (they can start that low, much to my surprise!)

You may seriously think about taking a full week off from impact to let heal. A slip on ankle support might help for the next few weeks during workouts, as well (Savon, Target type stores carry). Try traditional "ankle twist/shin splint" home treatment. If it still hurts after a month of treatment you may want to have it checked out.... OH- and if you wear heels to work during the day--DONT> wear flats until the ankle gets better. Hope you feel better soon

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.