Overtraining???

tlc93

Cathlete
Hey Cathe, I can't thank you enough for all you've done for me and all the other Cathletes!! I have a real love of exercising and working out and basically just feeling really fit! The more I'm sweating the better it all is! Right? My question is....how do you know if you're overtraining? I workout every morning for about an hour. Then 2-3 times a week I workout in the evening too (when I have more time). So that means I'm working out between 7-10 per week. I do advanced level w/o's and get on the treadmill here and there. I try to pay attention to "what" was worked and when so I'm not doing biceps 2 days in a row etc. I admit there are days when I'm very tired. Can you give me some guidance?

I have always told my clients that if you are questioning if you are overtraining... you probably are. Taking a day or two off will only help-- you get stronger while at rest, not while working out.

It's hard, of course, but I've had much better results and I know many others have, too, when I workout 5-6 days/week and not every day. You can do an easy long walk, nice gentle yoga, etc on that other day if you really need to... but if the question has entered your brain, the answer is probably in there too. ;)

Good luck!:)

To my mind, the most important question is: do you exercise this much because you truly feel joy while doing it and couldn't think of doing anything else rather than doing those additional evening workouts, or do you add them on because you feel you should, have to, or because of some compulsion to do so?

If, after doing the amount of exercise required for optimal health, there is no joy, then use your valuable evening time for resting, relaxation, being with friends and family, projects, reading, films, going out socially, whatever. Because, in the final analysis, what do we exercise for?

It has always been clear to me that healthy levels of exercise and a healthy sense of the priorities in life has NEVER included forgoing social events or activities with friends and family for the sake of getting in another run or step workout or lifting session. If that is what you are doing, then your psychological perspective on fitness needs a reevaluation.

Clare

reply to maddiesmum

Perhaps I should clarify a bit as I feel I was harshly judged here. The evening workouts started because it helps me sleep. I feel great after and would NEVER forego time with people I care about. I only do pm wkouts when I have time and energy. And when nothing else is going on that I need to attend to. As a full fledged adult I know what my priorities are. I also feel less stressed after a pm wkout. As an RN I see ugliness almost daily and working up a sweat actually breaks the tension I deal with at work. I am certainly not avoiding anything or anyone and most importantly I think my psychological approach to exercise is spot on and quite healthy, not a compulsion. I have been working out for over 20 years now so I think I know what works best for me. I just wanted Cathes opinion on the subject.

Perhaps I should clarify a bit as I feel I was harshly judged here. The evening workouts started because it helps me sleep. I feel great after and would NEVER forego time with people I care about. I only do pm wkouts when I have time and energy. And when nothing else is going on that I need to attend to. As a full fledged adult I know what my priorities are. I also feel less stressed after a pm wkout. As an RN I see ugliness almost daily and working up a sweat actually breaks the tension I deal with at work. I am certainly not avoiding anything or anyone and most importantly I think my psychological approach to exercise is spot on and quite healthy, not a compulsion. I have been working out for over 20 years now so I think I know what works best for me. I just wanted Cathes opinion on the subject.

Then that's just wonderful. I am not judging you at all. I wish you well, truly.

Think, for a moment, how difficult it can be to offer advice when it is solicited. Posts are necessarily brief and do not tell the whole story. I offered a few words of advice based on what I read, that's all. You now feel the need to defend yourself and your workout regime. Not needed. If you are happy with what you do and how much exercise you do, then you don't need to justify it to anybody. But then, what intrigues me, is why you felt the need for anyone's input on your situation (approval or advice)?

I am a great believer in being my own authority and that's how I raise my two daughters: I don't need anyone's permission, I do what I know is right and I'm good with that.

If you felt judged or treated harshly by me, I can only apologise as that was not my intention.

Enjoy your workouts!

Clare

I think I know exactly where you are coming from. I did the same thing for quite sometime. I was going through a lot of personal issues and I was having a very difficult time sleeping because of the high stress levels. I too would work out at night (still do actually -- it just became a habit!!! :) ) because it was the only way I could sleep at night without the use of medication. Things are much better now for me but I can totally relate to how nice it is to just work out to remove that stress...for me, it relaxes both my body AND my mind.

I personally think that Amy G gave some great advice. If you are feeling really tired, I would try cutting back to 6 days a week and throwing in an active recovery week now and then. I know it's hard to do that when you are used to your workout schedule (lots of admiration as well for sticking with your regiment for over 20 years!!!) but I really do think it will help you not feel so tired on those days when you do. I'm sorry that I have chimed in when this should really be Cathe's realm but I couldn't help but tell you that I relate to what you were saying in your post!

thanks TRSTACIE

Thank you so much for your post!!! Its nice to know that someone gets it! I too like Amy G's post and I agree with it. I have actually started doing yoga or stretches some nights. Sometimes I feel like I have restless leg syndrome and need to run, jump, pump....whatever! I try to eat all the right foods, watch the caffeine....all of it. And I still have restless nights. A good workout seems to be the answer but I really don't want to over do anything and hurt myself or hinder forward progress. You know the saying "sometimes less is more".

I really appreciate your understanding and sharing your story. I also want to hear what Cathe has to say about it. In the mean time I'm going to do only what I can, when I can. Thanks again!!!

I am currently doing doubles 2-3 days a week. I have been doing it for just a couple weeks now. I wasn't planning on doing it more than 3 weeks, but I'm finding that I get a much better core workout when it's isolated by itself instead of right after cardio. I have been doing 1/2 cardio and 1/2 core for a 45-60 minute workout. I think that I will drop the cardio(except for warm-up) and keep the core work as a second workout on going. I really like HC and it's difficult to fit it in with the rest of my workouts.

In terms of overtraining, I do doubles on a day that I was already doing cardio. I'm currently doing STS and my legs NEED that break on the upper body days :D On cardio days that I'm not feeling strong in the evening(often a day that I spin), I just don't do the double. It's not worth it to overtrain or feel fatigued. So as folks always say....listen to your body :D

IMO, Amy g has has hit the snake on the head!:D

Clare comment has not come across as being judgmental.
I believe we all love this forum because people care about others wellbeing. I believe that is what both clare and Amy had in mind.

I would like to add that there is no harm in being frank, truth has and need to be said! Also an advise is offered to be taken or left.

I can actually recall the same topic being raised by someone who actually (based on the weight and height disclosed on the thread) had an under weighted Body mass index. In that case it was clear the individual in question was in a process of a "damaged metabolism".

Now, in this case I am not going to tell the person what she/or he want to hear. Health is just too important for the truth not to be said!

Calories consumed for loosing weight should *NOT* be less than the BMR and should be adjusted according to the activity level.

Funnily enough, today i was described as being a big woman due to muscles I have gained. I say funny cause I do not see myself as having a lot of muscles. May be i do not realise. I am not overweight. For sure i know i certainly did not gain that consumming 1200kcal as we have always been bombarded, here in europe, that is the requirement to loose weight!!!! This is a total damaging misconception. I did not either gain that doing two hours of endurance steady pace cardio:eek::eek::eek:

I would rather have a curved shapely body with definition than be an un-healthy "ectomorph". There is a way to achieve that by being in a healthy calories deficit. This require a trial and error process. Once you have found it you'll be amazed!

This tread goes hand in hand with Damaged metabolism. An overtraining issue can lead to a damaged metabolism as probably nutrition would be neglected!

To Tlc93, I apologise should you feel I deviated from the "overtraining" topic. I think training has to be supported by a clean healthy optimum nutrition. That is the reason I mentioned nutrition and damaged metabolism.

All the very best everyone,
Hoping not to offend anyone!:D

Last edited:
Hi tlc93! Hopefully Cathe wilI be able to send you a reply. I sometimes tend to find myself on the verge of overtraining - for me, it's a matter of being stubborn, not backing off when I should. You might google "overtraining syndrome symptoms" and see if you are experiencing many of them. If you seem to have quite a few symptoms a recovery week might help, and will also make you come back stronger and more energized. I make myself take one every 4-6 weeks wether i want to or not (-: Oddly, it's during my recovery week where my best results show. I think it's because the muscles have time to build and repair. My active recovery weeks usually look something like this:
1. Kickboxing
2. 60 minute power yoga followed by 15 minutes of foam rolling (I actually use a rumble roller - It rocks!!!!)
3. Steady State Run 45 minutes & A Stretch Max
4. 60 minute power yoga followed by 15 minute foam roll
5. Slide & Glide from LIS
6. 60 minute power yoga followed by 15 minutes of foam roll
7. Rest

No plyometrics, heavy lifting, or intervals for me that week. I try to really embrace and enjoy my recovery week as a well earned treat.

I highly recommend the foam roller, and if you can spring for it, the rumble roller. It significantly aids my recovery and really works the nots and DOMS out. You might find that doing it nightly helps you to relax too.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Also, it is a fact that Cathe does not answer each and every post o this forum, especially when she is preparing to film. So, this is a reason why forum members chime in to help each other out. Ideas from others is better than no words of response at all, no? As fitness enthusiasts, we have been through everything and can share our experience. That is worth something and it is why we all frequent these forums.

Good luck,

Clare

Thanks Viola1625!

Hey Viola1625! Thanks for the info. It looks like you have a really good wkout plan. I like the recovery week schedule. It looks completely do-able. I do have a foam roller but I might get the other roller........it has rave reviews. Similar to you.....I get stubborn and KEEP going. I am going to try to add more yoga and stretching. Maybe that will help the restless legs and body and mind! I appreciate your input and advice. Peg

Oooooh! I think you will for sure like the rumble roller - it's a chiropractor and massage therapist all in one! I think it might help your tension in your legs too. I actually use mine prior to workouts too - it seems to help prepare my body. I homeschool my kids, so my workout time is limited to the early morning. My body is a little sluggish at that time and needs a more gradual warm-up. I work with the rumble roller for 5 minutes, do some dynamic stretches (inch worms, etc) and then am all ready to push play. If you do get one, go for the full size! (-:

thanks!

Cathe, thanks for all the appropriate articles this week! Excellent, informative and timely! Thanks again!

tlc93,

If you are worried about overtraining, get a good heart rate monitor and monitor your resting heart rate in the morning. It is the only quantitative way to actually know if you are overdoing it. I didn't go through the whole thread and I don't know if anybody mentioned it already. When something is off (you stressed your heart too much, not enough recovery, coming down with a cold etc...) your morning HR will spike. It will also spike more than normal when you are doing your workout. You can't fake it. It is always accurate.

A lot people exercise while dieting which limits their ability to exercise and recover. They think they are overtraining when they are actually under-eating. I read somewhere that different people need different amount of exercise. I find that to be true. It took me a long time to figure out how much exercise my body needs. I feel best when I expand 900 calories on exercise per day which takes anywhere from 80 to 120 minutes. I also do my main workout right before I go to sleep because it is the only way I get a real restful energizing sleep.

soapmaker

Hey! Thanks for the info. I do have a heart rate monitor but I don't think it works very well. It's the watch type, Nike I think. Every time I wear it and try to get my heart rate it takes too long and I feel its inaccurate. I too feel best when I get at least 80 minutes or more each day with the best output in the evening.......like you I sleep like a baby after. I really enjoy the pm workouts. So......how do I figure out how much exercise I actually need? I know my caloric requirements but never really thought about exercise requirements probably because I just do my workouts.....a lot! Lately I have been putting a serious effort into trying to learn ALL the science of exercise. It can be quite confusing but Cathe's articles have been helpful. Any insight and info is appreciated!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.