Overhead press substitution

jasper

Cathlete
Hi Cathe -

I love your workouts!

Due to A/C joint & neck injuries, overhead presses are difficult and painful. I've been doing front raises instead - is this an appropriate substitution?

Thank you!

Jasper

Upright rows are good at including all three heads of the deltoid, as well as the traps, similar to overhead presses. I think that works well, as my shoulders also have some issues:) I also keep it balanced with rear flies, lateral raises & 'circles' as Cathe has done in some videos...both directions and only to shoulder level.

Hope that helps!!

>Upright rows are good at including all three heads of the
>deltoid, as well as the traps, similar to overhead presses. I
>think that works well, as my shoulders also have some issues:)

Upright rows aren't the best for shoulders, and can irritate the joint. If you do decide to try them, keep them wide and low.

Since anterior delts (front shoulders) get worked when you do push-ups or bench presses, I'd recommend doing lateral raises in place of overhead presses.

Hi Jasper! It's hard for me to answer your question without knowing the extent of your injuries. But if the pain issues are strictly related to exercises that go past shoulder height, then you can train all areas of the shoulder (front delt, medial delt, rear delt) individually without raising your arms higher than shoulder height. If you have no problems doing this then try doing supersets of the following to work all heads of the shoulder as well as the traps.

Do a superset of double arm front and double arm lateral raises, followed by a superset of shrugs and rear delt flys to hit all three heads of your delts.

If shrugs are out of the question due to your injuries, then leave them out because you will still somewhat involve the trap muscles when you do controlled double arm front raises and bent over rear flys (I say somewhat because it is really mostly trap involvement once the arms go past shoulder height, but again, you are involving them to a certain degree as you approach shoulder height so all is good :) )

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.