Once a week enough for weights?

KA

Hi Cathe (or anyone else who may help),
Would I be able to maintain my muscles lifting just once a week (with a tape such as MIS). I do not really care about developing my muscles any further, but do not want to lose strength.
Thanks in advance.

Hi KA! I don't know. I imagine once should be enough as long as you use heavy enough weights to really exhaust the muscles you are working. If not, you may want to bump it up to two. Just my humble two cents;-)!

Aimee

Hello,
I am one of those people who can get by doing each body part once a week, except legs which I do twice. I make sure I lift as heavy as I possibly can and make sure I reach muscular failure each time. If I do body parts twice a week, I feel like I can't lift as heavy and I don't feel fully recovered. That is just me though, I am an endurance runner so I also save a lot of my strength for that. I feel very strong and my arms have nice shape. As long as you don't want to gain muscle, lifting once a week I think is sufficient and you won't lose strength. Sometimes however, I will do Circuit Max, but that is just lighter weights, higher reps. I never lift heavy twice a week for my arms. My best friend is a personal trainer and she only works her arms once a week too. Although, everyone responds differently, this weeks for me. Just my humble opinion.
Take care!
Christine

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-12-01 AT 02:39PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Chris and Aimee,
Thanks for the advice. Christine, you raise a good point. Soon summer will be here and I will be doing a LOT more swimming. I know I really don't like working my upper body so much then because I cannot swim as far/long without tiring. Plus, I think swimming is a good upper body workout. I have been running now that it is spring and do not do strength work on my legs as much now. (once a week, only twenty minutes). I wasn't sure about doing upper body only once a week though.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.