nutrition and workout

Hi Cathe,

I have been training for more than 4 months now with your DVDs and I love it. I know nutrition is an important factor to consider while training seriously. I am wondering what is the best food to eat before and after a workout.

I wake up at 4:55 AM and start training at 5:05. What should I eat?

Is a chocolate milk good after any kind of workout? Is it good before?

Thanks

PS: I have been successful of convincing my 2 teenagers and a friend to use your DVDs and they love it. It's nice to see them take their health seriously. My basement is a gym now!!!!!:)

I also workout first thing in the morning. The thing that I found that works the best for me is taking a casein protein right before I go to bed. It is a slow digesting protein that absorbs over the course of eight hours. I find that if I eat too close to working out, I get indigestion. I have successfully eaten half of a banana about 15 minutes prior to working out though with no problems.

Eating food 10 minutes before your workout is not a good idea because you're not going to be digested and you could possibly cramp, feel indigestion or even vomit during your workout. I wouldn't suggest eating anything before 30 minutes, but 90 minutes is ideal. But if you do 30 minutes before then keep it very simple like a scrambled egg white since eggs are one of the fastest food to become absorbed into the body.

If you can at least give yourself 15 minutes before your morning workout, you can try mixing a half scoop protein powder with a 6 ounce glass of water and drink it....then continue to sip JUST water during your workout.

After your workout, I go for either a scoop of whey protein powder mixed with water and wait 20 minutes for that to feed my muscles without major digestion going on and then I eat my normal breakfast after. For me I have a few but here is one: a cup of plain non fat greek yogurt with about 10 fresh blackberry's, a table spoon of chia seeds, and a squirt of honey mixed in a bowl. MMMM...good protein recovery along with some carb replacement and omega 3 benefits.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Cathe,

I have been training for more than 4 months now with your DVDs and I love it. I know nutrition is an important factor to consider while training seriously. I am wondering what is the best food to eat before and after a workout.

I wake up at 4:55 AM and start training at 5:05. What should I eat?

Is a chocolate milk good after any kind of workout? Is it good before?

Thanks

PS: I have been successful of convincing my 2 teenagers and a friend to use your DVDs and they love it. It's nice to see them take their health seriously. My basement is a gym now!!!!!:)

I usually get up at about 5:30 or 5:45 a.m. and work out around 6:15. I don't like to workout on an empty stomach, so prior to my workout I have one piece of light whole wheat toast (about 40 calories) and that works perfectly for me. It's just enough to coat my stomach so I'm not working out on an empty stomach, but not heavy to where I feel sick during my workout. In fact, I have a lot more energy as opposed to working out on an empty stomach. Hope this helps!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.