No Squats-advice...PLEASE!!!

tjaded

Cathlete
hELLO,
if I did all leg work leaving squats out would I still get toned
shapely thighs? My reasoning is since my legs are already built
thick and I want to tone,shape and slenderize without bulking my thighs pile high I've decided to skip squats since I don't want to bulk my legs and have my flat wide rear end push higher into my back giving me a hump instead of a nice round bump. Will I still be able to get the definition? Cathe or anyone if you know the answer to this please let me know because Im not to happy with what Im seeing squats are doing for me.

Hi, Tjaded! I'm not Cathe, but . . .

I can't really speak to what omitting squats would do for you in terms of "tone, shape and slenderize', but IMHO it would be a mistake from a functional fitness standpoint to omit them entirely from your strength training program. The squat is one of the best compound-joint training exercises around, and it mimics the sit-to-stand and stand-to-sit function that we have to do all the time in daily activities.

Perhaps you could describe in more detail what your overall program looks like, including cardio and strength training modes, frequency, duration and intensity levels, and we could better answer your question.

Just my $.02 -

Annette Q. Aquajock

Hi Tjaded! Squats are a very valuable exercise which help to improve our overall quality of life (not only now, but as we continue to age). They enhance functional fitness because they parallel movements such as bending over to pick something up, leaning forward to lift a heavy object, or sitting down and getting up from a chair. If your having reservations about doing squats, I would suggest using light resistance while doing them rather than eliminate them. Take Care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.