No definition in arms

HollyCat

Cathlete
Dear Cathe (or whoever feels like chiming in),

I am new to this forum. I have been working out with aerobics and weights for 12 years on and off and have never achieved the sculpted look in my arms that I work for. I currently do upper body workouts like those in MIS or BodyMax 2-3x a week (non-consecutive days) and my arms get bigger, but not more defined. I have low body fat for a woman and really don't want to get that much lower in body fat, plus my legs are really sculpted compared to my upper torso. I am beginning to wonder if this is just my body type, or if I can do anything to increase the definition in my arms compared to my lower body? Right now I feel like my upper arms are just big doughy loaves of bread (I'm sure they're not quite that bad, but I tend to be hard on myself). My arms have always been like this regardless of workout routine, diet, and body weight.

Thanks so much, and congrats on your pregnancy!

Holly

Hi Holly! Welcome to the forum. Yes, if your genetics tend to resist development in the arms, it will be a hard battle trying to change that, however, don't throw in the towel. In addition to your current workout and low fat diet, try adding one 20 minute workout per week per body part that you are trying hardest to define. For example if you want more cut biceps and triceps, keep doing your normal routine but add one 20 minute all tricep workout (preferably heavy weight) and one 20 minute all bicep workout (preferably heavy weight). This additional focus to these "trouble spots" may shock them into action. Good Luck!

Holly

I've found that doing boxing punches, especially on a heavy bag, helps tone the arms and give definition. It's a good aerobic workout, too.

RE: Holly

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-01 AT 02:34PM (Est)[/font][p]I agree with Holly. About three years ago I started doing the Firm tapes and saw no improvement. I became discouraged and stopped working out for a two year period until I saw a picture of myself and so I became serious about a year ago but due to improper knowledge I pretty much was doing the same exercises day in and day out without challenging myself and therefore again saw no improvement until I started with my personal trainer 6 months ago. With changing my routine every 4 - 6 weeks and challenging my muscles and also with doing kickboxing, I have now FINALLY definition in my arms which I thought would be impossible after being inactive for sometime. I agree with Cathy also, add some extra time to those parts which you feel need extra work.

Thanks for the responses! I will try an extra 20-minute focused workout once a week (it sounds difficult to spend that long on one muscle group!), and perhaps heavy bag punching. I do tend to get stuck doing the same workouts week in and week out, so maybe a little variety is called for.

Holly

Hi Holly! Have you tried the Slow & Heavy series yet? I think they are the ultimate plateau-busting workouts! I'm seeing results after only two weeks. I've been doing MIS, PS and PH this last year, and added S&H two weeks ago... amazing! I feel so strong after these workouts and definitely seeing cuts & definition. My husband says my biceps, triceps & delts have been getting bigger since doing the slow&heavy tapes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.