New with Questions

summer

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-03 AT 05:44PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Cathe or anyone else who can help me,

I need help with which workouts to choose. I received the 12-pack DVD's for Christmas (Power Hour, Maximum Intensity Strength & Body Max; Pure Strength - Legs, Chest & Back; Slow & Heavy; Rhythmic Step, Interval Max & Maximum Intensity Cardio). I also have Cardio Kicks. I was at an intermediate to advanced level until 4 months ago, when I had a necessary layoff. I started working out a month ago on the treadmill and have built up to 45 min. I started the day after Christmas using Power Hour one day and walking the next. I've done Maximum Intensity Strength and Cardio Kicks (love) twice now (with modification), but I made it through it. I've tried Rhythmic Step twice, but I'm such a klutz that I only make about 20-25 mins. before I give up & go walk. I am not crazy about step, but I am trying to like it (we'll see). I worked out at the gym previously, so these tapes are new to me. I work out 5 or 6 days a week, with one or 2 rest days (depending). I am wondering whether to continue doing these whole body strength workouts for a few more weeks or use the split workouts or what? After reading one post where it says to mix up the workouts for better results, another where you only work 1 bodypart per day and on the dvd's it says to use Power Hour or Slow & Heavy or any of the wt. workouts 3 times a week, I am totally confused. Which is the best way to get back in shape the quickest (lean down where you can see muscle definition) or what workouts do I need to be doing? I really don't have a specific problem area (gained pretty evenly), just lost a lot of muscle and am very flabby and want back in shape. Also I am back to my clean eating. I love the weight tapes. Cathe, your cueing is excellent and you and the girls are such an inspiration.

Please help as I am totally confused.

Thanking you in advance for your help,
Summer

Poor little message...bumped twice and still no reply ;-(

Here's a suggestion for the weight tapes, based on a rotation I went through: Do PH three times per week for several weeks (2-4, depending on how bored you personally get doing the same routine), then go on to MIS (or a mix of PH and MIX) for about the same amount of time. After building up a base of overall strength with these two workouts (PH is more endurance than MIS, the latter of which will transition you into the more strength-oriented workout), go on to a PS split, using each tape once per week (so each body part is worked DIRECTLY only once per week). If you prefer to do PS twice per week, you won't be able to lift as heavily, as you won't be allowing as much time for rest.

Thank you very much Kathryn. I have been doing PH 3 times per week since Christmas, plus I have thrown in MIS twice. I will start alternating the two for 3 or 4 weeks before heading to PS. I guess S&H must be for the really advanced or at least you have to build up to it.

Thanks again at least I feel like I am heading in the right direction now.
Summer

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.