New to Cathe and Confused About Videos

gln

Hello everyone - I am new to posting here at this forum although I have been enjoying reading the posts for several weeks. I would appreciate anyone's help in deciphering all of Cathe's weight training videos and selecting which ones needed in aiding me in reaching my goals.

My primary goal is weight loss and although I am fine with the cardio type videos, I get a bit lost in regards to the descriptions of the weight training videos. I have been lifting for about a year now, so I am not a novice, however, since I need to lose about 30lbs, should I be concentrating more on muscle endurance videos, e.g. Power Hour or strength building videos, e.g. the Slow and Heavy series, or should I be doing a combination of both, or does anyone have additional video suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to any replies.

big fan of building muscle

Hi gln,

I've been weight training on and off for the last 20 years. Sometimes, exclusively in the gym..sometimes with a mixture of videos and the gym..and lately, for the last year and a half..all videos. 99% of the strength videos used have been Cathes.

From my own experience in maintaining and dropping weight, I've had the best luck with lifting heavier and always trying to up the weights I use...I always try to feel challenged and gain or maintain healthy muscle tissue. The more healthy muscle I have, the more calories I burn in my cardio workouts..and in my daily activities.

My favorite routine of the past has been Pure Strength but I would shake it up to confuse the muscles with some endurance like CTX strength..but generally, I liked Pure Strength for growth. It also is cut up into three workouts..allowing more concentration and focus for individual parts. Now;-)...I just got Slow and Heavy(three workout routine too;-))..and it's my new found love...so it's taken the spotlight from PS but it also just leads me to another point in making progress with any routine..variety. I'll probably use Slow and Heavy as my main routine for now and fit in small rotations of PS or CTX to keep from hitting platueas and getting burnt out...there's nothing like choices and being able to change to shock those muscles!

If you really enjoy lifting at home, I'd start with Pure Strength and, maybe one of the full bodies like Power Hour or MIS as a good change up routine.

Just my 2 cents..more great ideas will follow from the other ladies...and occasional gentleman;-)...of course, you'll end up owning them all the tapes before the year is up anyway;-).

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/naconfer/images/clutzvfsig.jpg

well...that just rambled on..

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-01 AT 08:56PM (Est)[/font][p]and didn't really decipher any of the tapes;-)

Power Hour..full body endurance..haven't done it yet..just got it;-)..but it closely resembles a Body Pump style workout..only better;-). And from all the reports from my VF buddies...a classic Cathe killer workout!

Maximum Intensity Strength(MIS)..have it, hardly use it, I'm a split parts girl;-), but it's a great full body and I wish I could give you more details but will leave it to others.

Pure Strength. Set up into 3 workouts...Pull muscles-Back and Biceps, Push muscles-Chest, triceps and Shoulders and last Legs by themselves..standing and floor work. Workout is done very close to gym style with 3 sets with reps averaging :-hmmm 12 reps for most exercises.

Slow & Heavy. Push/Pull together in 3 workouts...Chest/Back, Bi's with Tri's and Legs with Shoulders. Similar set up as Pure Strength in the format(gym style sets)..still doing three sets(on average)..but using a very slow count of 6 up and 2 on the negative..going for 8 reps on each exercise..very challenging. Major focus going on.

CTX parts...single parts done with high reps and Cathe plays with the reps by adding things like killer low-ends..only going halfway.

There's also BodyMax and CircuitMax..strength mixed with cardio..if you really want to feel pain hehehe.

OK..still rambling, but that's Cathe's strength according to nancy.

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/naconfer/images/clutzvfsig.jpg

RE: well...that just rambled on..

Nancy,

Thanks so much for taking the time and expressing your views - you have given me several good suggestions and perhaps it would be best for me to combine both strength/endurance videos. I have been with a PT for several months now and where I have improved physically and have had inch loss, it seems that I have now hit a plateau and that it why I thought to follow her suggestions for half the week and the remaining days to incorporate some of Cathe's strength training tapes. Again, thanks for your imput and I also look forward to hearing anyone else's suggestions.

I'm with Nancy! :)

I never would have thought that any weights program would take the spotlight from my beloved PS workouts, but the Slow and Heavies are wonderful! I love the push-pull concept. Basically you're grouping together muscle groups that are opposites from each other, so when you switch to the other group, they aren't totally fatigued by the work you just completed. As much as I love PS, but the time I get to the triceps in the Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps workout, my triceps have about HAD it! They are so tired that I feel like they're getting the short end of the stick ( or is that the short end of the barbell? :) ) sometimes. I also really love the mental focus involved in the slow and heavy method. I love really having the time to tune in to what my muscles are doing.

What I have always found works best for me is combining heavier strength training days, usually in a split format, with endurance building workouts. Right now I'm doing each of the S&H workouts once a week, and Power Hour 1 day a week. Wow! PH is a KILLER! I have never felt the "burn" like I do during the PH static lunges! And I love the fact that in an hour I get all the muscle groups and don't feel like I short-changed anything, since they are ALL wiped out! I can't really comment yet on how it's going in terms of results since I just finished my 1st week. I CAN say that I'm really enjoying myself! And for me to ENJOY weights, since I'm very much a cardio lover, is saying something! :)

For variety and effectiveness, you can't beat Cathe's workouts! I tend to change around my workouts ( I have all of her weights workouts except Circuit Max, which I could just never quite get into. ) so that I keep those muscles confused. Heck, you really will need them all eventually, and she offers those great volume discounts . . . ;-)

ErinF

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.