Need help, I'm pursuing a college degree...

eternalEfit

Cathlete
in Physical Education!

Hi Cathe and all!
As I've ventured in teaching group fitness classes, from hi/lo, kicbox, step and now BodyPUMP; I've made a decision to finish my undergrad and major in Physical Education but I'm not sure what to put an emphasis on...Exercise Phyisiology or Kineselogy. I have a broad interest in fitness but would love to make it more...emphasized?? Cathe, if you could share with me what your degree is in as I've read it at one time but can't find where it is...
I'd like to know the difference between exercise physiology and kinesiology. I completely enjoy learning about the gift of our physical body and am interested in movement, structure and function, anatomy and physiology, etc. What would be the best route for me to take?
Thanks in advance!
Your #1 fan,
Myra :-jumpy

Hi Myra!! I'm going to ask a dumb question, so please don't laugh. Since you are so motivated and comitted, can you major in both? I honestly don't know how much time or money it takes, but it was just a thought. TTYL!

Aimee

Hi Myra,
Just wanted to point out if you go to the BIO on Cathe's home page and click there, then scroll down to the bottom (right) and click on Beauty Buzz interview, then scroll to the bottom (left) and click on "interview with Cathe F.", you can read some about Cathe's biography. I believe she said that she minored in dance and majored in communications. Hey, maybe that's why she's so great at communicating the next step sequence!!! I used to get so lost in step aerobics until I found her videos.
Good luck to you in college and life!
Lisa Seymour

Hi Myra! The fitness field has really expanded since the days that I went to college. Now there are more specializations available. I think your best bet is to go to your college and meet with a career councelor. They will be able to really go into depth with you on this. Also, I'm not sure if these books are still in circulation, but there were these career books available that allowed you to read a day in a life of the career you may be interested in. It also mentioned the salary, type of personality best suited for the job, flexibility within the job, growth potential and more.

For me, I majored in Communications but always had a STRONG interest in fitness. I KNEW that I would find a way to combine the two. Hence...Cathe.com/Step N Motion Videos

Good Luck with everything.

Thanks Cathe!
That was my next step to talk to a counselor next week. I have an Associate Degree already in Legal Office Managment from a business college while I'm NOT using the legal lingo, the office management part has been helpful with organizing my home!
This next step up (a Bachelor's) is more of "hobby" rather than a career (need that "accidental insurance", know what I mean?) as I am always eager to learn more about the human body and its effects during and after exercise. I appreciate your input and hope to call on you again!
Great job on all you've accomplished, including you son!
Myra :)

Hi Myra. I happen to be a lifetime student so I had to respond to your question. I know that Cathe already did and who can compare with her but I just thought that I would share some of my experiences. I got my BS in Sport and Fitness Management and then started on my Masters in Exercise Physiology. I am currently back in school getting my teaching certificate to teach PE. If your interest lies in the body then you might be surprised at how little they actually teach you when you are going for a PE degree. I don't want to stereotype but for the most part, I am surprised at how little the students in class with me actually know about fitness and exercise! I wish you the best of luck! If you have any other questions, I would love to try and help! :) Sara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.