Need Help! Figure 8 toning tubes

Jan Flynn

I am 58 years old and have recently gone from a near size 14 to a size 6 in about 6 months--Yay me! I am amazed in how my body responded to weights and cardio with diet. I weighed about 170 on Sept 5, 2010. For 6 mo I did the old Classic Firm videos but the repetitious nature seemed to drag by. I found and bought an Original Club Step that included Cathe's DVD--(1) Basic Step and (2) Cardio w/Weights about 10 days ago. The first time through the Cardio w/Weights, the step footwork was a terribly complex, but I just kept moving anyway; by the 3rd use, I nearly got it all--so proud of me, but I did do re-winds and slow motion and practiced hard parts several times. Today I ordered several more Cathe DVDs and bought the Firgure 8 toning tube thinking it was replacing the green resistance band because I couldn't find the green bands on the site. How are the toning tubes used, and in which DVDs? I am excited about the DVDs and hope I haven't bought a Figure 8 I won't use. Thanks in advance for your help. Jan

Hi Jan,

First, much congratulations on you weight loss and fitness gains! I have almost all of Cathe's workouts and the figure eight tubes are not used in any of them. The green band is used in may of them. Did you mean the fire walker loops or the 6ft band?

cathe.com does sell the resistance bands and the fire walker loops. They are also available at Dicks Sporting Goods, Walmart and on Amazon.

Last edited:
58 years old, and getting fit

Hi Regina,

Thanks for that congrats, and for your reply! The interesting thing is I didn't lose much in the lbs. last time I weighed in on Christmas eve I had lost about 20 lbs. in 3 months. I must have gained some muscle too. I have been cautious about weighing again and placing too much emphasis on it as I know it can be a fickle friend and that the proof is in the dress sizes I lost and in the mirror seeing the muscle definition.

It was the 6 ft green medium resistant band I should have bought. I don't know about the fire walker loops. I looked and looked for the green resistance band and then went with the figure 8, forgetting that it was to be 6 ft. Oh well, I may be able to sell it on Craigslist, or maybe get some creative ideas of how to use in the DVDs. I guess I got in too big of a hurry to place my order. Thanks for the help! And big thanks to Cathe who makes working out fun! I was totally out of shape and had not exercised in years.

Hi Jan,

I agree that the scale is not always the best indicator of progress. Some of the bands exercises that Cathe performs can be done with the figure 8 bands. There are many upper and lower body exercises that you can do with the bands so you may not want to get rid of them. There are some other exercises DVDs by other instructors that use the bands. I use my figure 8 bands often.

Hi Jan,

I saw your thread here and wanted to say that I have the figure 8 tubing as well. I see that Mindy Mylrea has a new dvd called "Glutes, Guns & Guts" it uses the figure 8 tubing, stability ball, a small medicine ball, body bar. This dvd has a total of 103 Minutes and has 3 premixes and chapter menus. If interested you can view this clip at http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/mindy-mylreas-glutes-guns-and-guts-5941 I hope this was helpful to you.

Hugs and be fit!

Nora

Wow Jan...congratulations on your weight and inch loss. I'm very impressed with your focus and determination to reach your goals. Keep going strong.

As for the figure 8 toning tube. I don't use this in my current DVD's but you will see that many of my green band exercises will lend themselves easily to being done with a Figure 8 tube.... and in some cases the figure 8 tube will work you harder. And many double arm exercises (ie: Bicep curls, tricep kickbacks) will work great with the figure 8 tube simply by doing the exercise with one arm at a time. Have fun....the possibilities are endless.

I am 58 years old and have recently gone from a near size 14 to a size 6 in about 6 months--Yay me! I am amazed in how my body responded to weights and cardio with diet. I weighed about 170 on Sept 5, 2010. For 6 mo I did the old Classic Firm videos but the repetitious nature seemed to drag by. I found and bought an Original Club Step that included Cathe's DVD--(1) Basic Step and (2) Cardio w/Weights about 10 days ago. The first time through the Cardio w/Weights, the step footwork was a terribly complex, but I just kept moving anyway; by the 3rd use, I nearly got it all--so proud of me, but I did do re-winds and slow motion and practiced hard parts several times. Today I ordered several more Cathe DVDs and bought the Firgure 8 toning tube thinking it was replacing the green resistance band because I couldn't find the green bands on the site. How are the toning tubes used, and in which DVDs? I am excited about the DVDs and hope I haven't bought a Figure 8 I won't use. Thanks in advance for your help. Jan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.