Need Advice on a Start-Up program

jlongo

Hi Experts,

OK, here's the deal. I am 49 and in pretty good shape, I do cardio workouts 3-4 times a week (walking up hills, elliptical, treadmill). I have been going to the gym doing standard Bodybuilding routines and working with a trainer on and off for 3 years. I go through periods where I can't stand going to the gym, so in the end, I have to keep starting over! I decided to go back to my roots and try videos, I used to be a real Firm freak for years and years. When they came out with the new ones, I bought a lot of them, but really hate them. I know Cathe is legendary, so I am looking to buy a few of her videos, and put my gym membership on freeze. To be honest, I've been mulling over all the different videos and am confused. I would like to emphasize strength, and was thinking I would like a total body workout. I wouldn't rule out working with a step, but I am kind of clutsy in the area, so I gravitate toward step-less videos, but I am open minded. Any ideas? What would you guys do?

I would like to emphasize strength, and was thinking I would like a total body workout. I wouldn't rule out working with a step, but I am kind of clutsy in the area, so I gravitate toward step-less videos, but I am open minded. Any ideas? What would you guys do?

I think the best total body weight dvd is Muscle Max. Other full body routines I enjoy, are Muscle Endurance (comes with Boot camp) and super sets and push pull. Then for a split style strength routine the Gym styles series (2 upper body, 1 lower) is phenomenal. I'm hearing great things about the Pyramid style Upper and Lower dvd, I'll be buying this one soon.

None of the above mentioned use a step other than as a bench or for step ups. These dvds do not have step routines.

And just gotta give a nod to a great cardio workout, Kick Punch Crunch. I don't like step workouts, so I can't recommend any of those.

Have fun! Cathe is the best, you are in great hands!

Thanks so much Dela, that was just the kind of advice I was looking for. I am going to order Muscle Max, that was my first instinct, so it's funny that's what you recommended. I will also try the cardio dvd you recommend. I need an alternate cardio exercise. Thanks again!!

Thanks so much Dela, that was just the kind of advice I was looking for. I am going to order Muscle Max, that was my first instinct, so it's funny that's what you recommended. I will also try the cardio dvd you recommend. I need an alternate cardio exercise. Thanks again!!

So glad I could help!! Let us know how you like them!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.