muscle endurance training vs. strength training

Hi Cathe, I was just wondering if it was normal for my muscles to feel way more fatigued and limp after endurance training. After I strength train they feel tired, but not limp. I just did some endurance training for my arms, chest, and back, and they are extremely shakey and exhausted. I almost dread endurance training, because for some reason it's SO MUCH more difficult for me. I didn't go heavy at all, 15lbs or less. I'm just really surprised at how my arms feel. Thankyou!
-Purplesky1120

Hi Purplesky1120! Yes, this is quite common. When you lift a lighter weight for a longer period of time with little rest periods, you will have more lactic acid build up in the muscle (wow, that was a mouthful huh;-)) Lactic acid is what causes that burning sensation and exhausted feeling in the muscle. If you are feeling especially tight in your muscles after an exercise or series of exercises, take a longer break and insert a gentle stretch before moving on. Good Luck!

Hi,
I just did muscle endurance video last night, and boy, right after the workout, I was feeling weak, shakey and over fatigued. I even pre-medicated myself with Motrin 600 mg and 1 Excedrin (asprin, tylenol, caffeine combo) because I have gotten this way in the past with the total body workouts. I went really light on the weights because I know my limits from doing this in the past and the other total body weight videos. (Muscle max, body max etc.) I drank crystal light throughout the workout, afterwards I thought maybe I was just a little hypoglycemic-so I ate a 100 calorie pack chex mix ("good carbs"), then I didn't feel any better, so I ate 2 bowls of cereal. Then I was nauseas. It was bedtime anyway, so I rubbed on some ben gay on my muscles took extra strenght tylenol and my husbands multi-vitamin-(Maybe low potassium?). I told my husband about it the next day. I am like, certainly there has to be something you can take in prior to the work-out that they sell at GNC or something. He told me about vitamin B-12- but I am a nurse and know that vitamin B-12 has to be taken as a shot-the GI tract does not have the intrinisic factor to break it down. I can't believe they even sell an oral form of vitamin B12, but there has to be something out there that you can take before the workout to prevent this.
I have a strong understanding of lactic acidosis. I am a prior navy nurse as well. I helped with gathering data on research on marines and exercise tolerance/endurance and also literature reviews on exercise physiology. I read an article on sweat analysis of males and females and it concluded that males lose more sodium in sweat whereas females tend to lose more potassium. I also worked in Quantico with the marines and we also noted that males were more likely to suffer from heat exhaustion than females.
Maybe I'll drink gatorade and eat a banana and take a multi-vitamin before my next total body workout. I don't know if you can buy straight potassium pills.-Too much potassium can effect the heart in a negative way as well.
Any other suggestions?
I love doing the total body workouts. Like I said, I try to go light on the weights. But if I'm going to feel this bad after them, it's not worth it. I didn't feel that bad during the workout and didn't think I was overdoing it. When we got to the abs section at the end, I was really modifying it. My current rotation is:Cardio, Total body, Cardio, upper body, cardio, lower body, cardio and weights. But maybe I should do more of the cardio and weights ones. Maybe after this rotation, I'll do that.

ME is tough, but feeling like you need to premedicate yourself isn't a good sign. Maybe try one of Cathe's intermediate workouts instead?

I'm going to echo what everyone else is saying - don't premedicate before you workout as it can dull pain and can mask an injury so that a minor injury can become a major one before you know it. That's been drilled into me because I do a lot of endurance sports like long distance hiking and biking and you don't want to hurt yourself.

Emvolkin, why did you attach your post to an 18 month old thread? You must have done some digging!

You consumed such a strange cocktail of drugs, liquids & food that it's not surprising that you felt awful. Don't mix ibuprofen & aspirin products.

If ME was too much for you, split it up or chose an easier workout while you build strength. Check the ME premixes for an upper/lower body split that might suit you.

Debra

yes, I did some digging to see if anyone else had the same problems. I do OK with the advanced aerobics videos, but these total body ones are too much (muscle endurance, MIS, power hour). I also do ok with just the upper body or lower body. But I think it burns my body out too much to do a total body workouts. Maybe I'll go back to my firm workouts for total body-like tough tape and tape tape 2, or even some of the cardio and weight ones. I can't wait for the new workouts to come out with upper body and cardio and lower body and cardio. Now I no why professional trainers hop in the whirlpool after workouts and use sport patches. You're right, I shouldn't pre-medicate myself before workouts. I think I will also try the ME/Boot camp pre-mix.
Thanks
Eva

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.