Morning low back tightness

empaloalto

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

I have a quick question for you about low back tightness. I sit at a computer all day, and probably don't have the best posture (while sitting) - so I'm sure this contributes to what I'm feeling, however my back is most tight in the morning.

On your most recently published DVD's, I've noticed you have several fast warm-ups that involve twisting our core back and forth. In the morning I'm a bit too tight to do this comfortably.

Can you suggest some other slower moves to get the juices flowing in my low back, prior to those faster moves?

Thanks!
I cannot wait until August 10th! :)

Erin

I hang my lower body over the bed and stretch my legs to my chest, one at a time. I have a bad hip, it puts my lower back out of whack too, so when I wake up its like I am 90 years old and never exercised!:)

Then I apply some heat to whatever hurts worse, drink my coffee and pop in my workout. Its amazing, once the blood gets flowing, everything starts feeling better!:)

A lot of barre-type workouts warm-up using knee-to-chest moves, basically 'marching' in place, bringing the knees up high. Start low, at a steady pace, then as things loosen up and you feel more comfortable, bring the knees up higher. Be sure to keep the core engaged when doing this.

Tneah's 'knee-to-chest' stretch idea is great, not only first thing in the morning, but before going to sleep. And you can finish it off with both knees to the chest, rolling on the lower back a bit.

Erin, I didn't take the time to read what others responded to you, but I used to work for a chiro and this is what they recommended:

Before you get out of bed draw your knees up to your chest (while laying on your back) and pull them in close. Hold that for a little bit, rest, and do it again. Do it as many times as you like but I find that 2-3 does the trick for me.

>great, thanks! btw what's a "barre-type" workout?

Workouts that use a ballet barre, like Fluidity, Squeeze (they use a chair, but could use a barre), Lotte Berke, etc.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.