Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Ask Cathe

Ask Cathe This is a forum to ask Cathe Friedrich a question. Cathe can't answer every post, but will try to answer as many as possible.

Menopause Workout

This is a discussion on Menopause Workout within the Ask Cathe forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Hi Cathe, Up until a few years ago, I was an avid exercisers. I was always extremely proud of my ...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 12:41 PM

Default Menopause Workout

Hi Cathe,

Up until a few years ago, I was an avid exercisers. I was always extremely proud of my body and what it could accomplish. Running 10 miles was nothing to me. I also did step, weights, kickboxing... Whatever came along.

Then a few years ago I started getting horrible migraines when I worked out. They were so bad, my vision was even effected. After, approximately 3 years, my neurologist finally found a drug which prevents them, with no side effects. Since I had never suffered from migraines before, she has diagnosed them due to hormones and menopause.

So, to the point. I've just started getting back into working out. No running, as I am still afraid of migraines. However, I can do step, weights and my nordic trak again. I workout at least 6 times a week for an hour and a half.

I have always watched what I ate, but due to not being able to exercise for a few years, I gained approximately 30 pounds. I weigh more now than when I was 9 months pregnant.

I've started to see my muscle tone return. But, the scale doesn't seem to want to budge. There a 5 women where I work, all the same age, all in the same predicament.

I guess what I'm trying to get at, is it would be wonderful if someone came out with a workout designed specifically for pre, post and menopausal women. It seems as though fat just loves to reside around your abdomen, upper arms and hips, when you hit this stage of life.

Just so you have an idea of me, I am 5'6" and weigh 160 lbs. I've always been in the high 120's to low 130's. I also had the pleasure of my breasts growing unbelievably during this time. So much so, I just had a breast reduction in June.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Do you have any plans on coming out with a workout plan designed for menopausal women? I think there is a huge market for it.

Megan
Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 PM
ambr1t's Profile Fields

Default Our stories are so similar!

Apart from the fact that I have been fortunate enough not to have suffered from migraines, I feel that our stories are very similar. I have always worked out and back in my early forties I was a gym rat....doing aerobics in the morning and then back at the gym again in the evening to lift. My body showed in a positive way, I was very proud. Then I hit my late forties and menopause struck me like a speeding train. Although the workouts continued my body was refusing to re-act. My stomach swelled with excess fat along with cellulite on my arms and legs. I started to hate the reflection I saw in the mirror. What is so soul destroying is the fact that you try but are not successful so then you start to give up. I gave up and became somewhat depressed with myself. At 5ft 4in I reached 152lbs my highest weight and thought of myself as a failure.
I have recently been spending a lot of time reading the forums and have felt inspired to read that so many other women are in the same position as myself. I have always eaten a healthy diet, but have started to clean it up even more so in the past year. In the past month I have worked out 6 days a week. I have seen a slow result, my pants and skirts are loose and my body feels more toned. The sad thing is that the scale has not moved a single lb in the past month. What does a girl have to do to move that scale??
I am so frustrated as I know that back in my gym days I would have seen big results by now.
Surely there must be something out there to help us ladies that are suppossed to be in the prime of our lives. UGH!!!!

Sorry...just feeling your frustration and full of sympathy.

I would welcome with open arms a program featuring nutrition and exercise specifically for women in menopause.

Linda
Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Cathlete
Peaceful Rainbow's Profile Fields

Well I'm there with you, too, minus the migraines. I've had very few issues with perimenopause, but I've definitely been having a struggle with my weight, which is something I've never had to deal with before. Sometimes those few pounds jump on for seemingly no reason that I can figure out. Then I have to make new adjustments to what I'm doing. Right now I'm keeping extra close track on my eating. My workouts have always been consistent, so I feel like the only part I can work on is diet.

No answers for you, but you're certainly not alone!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Cathlete
bethj's Profile Fields

I am right there with you along with the migraines I might add. It has been so frustrating that I cannot do intense cardio anymore, not to mention the fact that my body has gotten so "soft" looking with the extra layer of fat. I am getting to the point of just accepting things, except for the huge stomach out of proportion to everything. I'm going to have to investigate spanx.
Beth
Old 10-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Cathlete
netsnotes16's Profile Fields

Y'all are so not alone. What I find is helpful is adding yoga and/or pilates to my rotation. I can do cardio and weights. But what I find is if I do yoga first to my rotation, my endurance is better. What I can not do is turns, it makes me dizzier than what I am already! So I modify.

As an aside, friends at church who haven't seen me in along time remarked how "skinny" I was, thank goodness for stretch pants ,,,,but I am thinkin' 10 more lbs, 10 more lbs in my tummy area and celluite in my thighs.

I wish insurance companies will pay for tummy tucks, celluite sucking and uplifting boobs.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Linda1's Profile Fields

Bumping this old post... to see if anyone has had success and would like to help out those of us struggling with this belly issue.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Cathlete
Gibbee's Profile Fields

I'm curious, too!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Cathlete

Me, too!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM

I can’t respond from personal experience with “the belly issue” but I’m reading a book that may be of interest. I’m in my late 40’s and so far with minimal peri-menopausal changes/symptoms. The book is “Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life” by an Eastern Medicine doctor, Dr. Claudia Welch.

The book goes into detail, but the general idea is maintaining hormonal interaction and balance. My basic understanding: when we’re younger, we have enough sex hormones to balance our stress hormones. As we age and our progesterone and estrogen naturally decline, we need to make sure we’re adapting our lifestyles to reduce stress (cortisol production, adrenal overload) so the hormonal balance can be maintained and we can avoid many related health issues. The book talks about many lifestyle choices to reduce stress/help with stress management, including “appropriate exercise” which is going to vary depending on so many individual factors.

Though many of the suggestions are pretty simple - in theory anyway - nutrition, sleep, regular schedule, meditation, exercise, etc, I have found them helpful in dealing with anxiety and stress, so this approach makes sense to me.
irongrl likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 PM

So sorry! I just realized this question was in the "Ask Cathe" forum and not in the general discussion so I shouldn't have responded. I don't know how to delete my previous post. If there's a way to delete, I'd appreciate if someone would let me know. thank you!