Measurement Question

pgun

Cathlete
I measured myself this morning to see if I have made any progress w/my girth. My question is how is it possible to lose anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2" in most places and gain a 1/4 of an inch in my upper thighs? I haven't been lifting weights I am just trying to get myself back into being consistant w/my step aerobics to start. Which has gotten way better in the last month and a 1/2!

Can anyone answer this question?

thanks

Step aerobics do work the legs to quite an extent. So it could be some muscle increase. Or it could be the muscles holding onto a bit more fluid if you have increased the frequency or intensity of your step workouts (when the muscles feel 'threatened' ;) they can retain fluids as a protective measure. This fluid increase is temporary, and should go away as your body gets used to the extra work).

1/4" is really not a lot, and could also be a false increase, due to how you are measuring and/or if you are measuring in not quite the same spot.

I measure a lot, and I find 1/4 - 1/2" variances all the time. It depends on the precise spot where you measured, how tight you held the tape, if you put your finger slightly up or down on the place you read the result, etc. etc. My rule is this: if the measurement is lower, then it is correct. ;) If it is higher, I mismeasured and will see what it says next time. I still write it down, though. You have to look at the trends. Over time you'll be able to tell if you're getting smaller or bigger or staying about the same. Don't worry about any one measurement - there are too many variables.

I measure a lot, and I find 1/4 - 1/2" variances all the time. It depends on the precise spot where you measured, how tight you held the tape, if you put your finger slightly up or down on the place you read the result, etc. etc. My rule is this: if the measurement is lower, then it is correct. ;) If it is higher, I mismeasured and will see what it says next time. I still write it down, though. You have to look at the trends. Over time you'll be able to tell if you're getting smaller or bigger or staying about the same. Don't worry about any one measurement - there are too many variables.

I like your rule!!!!!!!!! I think it just became one of mine!

Thanks you guys, it just didn't seem to make much sense to me. I'll measure in another week to see what the measurement would be.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.