Low Impact Circuit Help

ruthie33

Cathlete
Hi Cathe & friends,

I finally did the complete Low Impact Circuit DVD on the weekend after a few weeks of doing the Step Blast Cardio pre-mix to get myself prepared for the step moves. I got through it but had to seriously modify the push ups and ab work. Those are 2 areas I'm incredibly "weak" on for now. Even though I modified, today I have severe DOMS from both those exercises.

My question is, should I continue working on this DVD and eventually I'll get my form for these exercises or is there something else I can do to help me with push ups and ab work?? I currently do "girly" push ups and for abs, I can do the regular crunches up and to the side, but I can't do the other ones in this video. I would love to be able to do regular push ups - really want to work on my upper body strength. I have Butts & Guts but haven't tried it yet - perhaps that will help me with the ab section but what about the push ups?? What can I do to help this along??

Thanks for your suggestions!!:(

If you are having trouble with the abs/push ups in LIC I would not suggest moving onto Butts/guts just yet. Do you have a weighted vest? A lot of people have had success using the vest to work their way up to a straight leg push up.

I love LIC its a lot of fun but just because its low impact does not really make it low in intensity.

I was in your same boat with pushups. When I started I did them all on my knees. Then I added just two or three regular pushups then dropped to my knees to finish. I just kept adding one or two at a time, and after a couple of months, I had the strength I needed to do almost all pushup work (except when we have to bang out 30, or heaven forbid those Elmo Pushups - ARGH! :p )

Keep at it, think baby steps, and you will get there. Good luck!

I do really enjoy the LIC workout. Because I've only done it once all the way through, I'll be using it the remainder of October as my "main" step workout (1-2 x per week). I just hate doing something I'm not good at!!! Hence the reason I do the step premix of the workout over and over till I get it down so I can do the whole workout without "falling" over my feet doing the step portion!!!
I don't have a weighted vest so Beth, I'm going to try your suggestion. Maybe try a couple "regular" push ups and drop to the knees for the remainder. Surely they can only get easier the stronger, more fit I get. I'm sure the same holds true with the ab work. I can't expect to do those side ab crunches (were the legs come up to the side...yikes) when I can't even remember the last time I did a serious "crunch". I'll just keep doing what I can and re-evaluate at the end of this month. I just don't want to get discouraged and quit it cause I think this is a great workout!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.