Left Foot/Right Foot Cueing

NY25

Cathlete
Cathe -
I have done LIC and just tried BM2. (I enjoyed both) However, other than the first segment in BM2 there is absolutely no cueing relative to left foot/right foot. I find it particularly helpful to have it, especially on moves when my back is turned to the TV. The first sequence was easy to follow, as it contained these cues. But the others, with absolutely no cueing became impossible to follow. Also, one of the segments in BM2, with the speed skaters over the step, the cue "the step off is with the foot that is last on the floor" was a tremendously helpful cue. It would have been more appropriate however on the first time round rather than the fifth. Poor or non-existent cueing will definitely prevent me from purchasing further step workouts. The cueing on all of the other workouts is excellent, so I'm not sure I understand the drop-off on the most complex of the choreographies. And left/right certainly isn't oversimplifying it in any way.
Please add this improvement to future workouts.
Otherwise, thanks for stellar workouts!! You are the best!

P.s. To the seasoned steppers preparing to flame me for requesting the addition of two syllables - please don't!

I second that request! The only thing I would add is to please keep the camera straight on when changing moves - when it's a side view, it gets confusing. And yes, I preview a workouts before doing them, and I do them several times with the pause/rewind ready. Some of us just need a little extra help!

thanks!

As an instructor myself, on many occassions when I give right/left cues my brain freezes and I end up cuing the wrong foot, which in turn fumbles up participants. I have found that not using right/left cues and either patting the lead leg or raising the arm of the foot that will lead (as Cathe does on several of her earlier workouts) is a better option.

That said, Cathe's new workouts always expound on previous ones, so jumping right into her newest series can definitely be a challenge for someone who isn't familiar with her choreography from previous series. When I first started stepping with Cathe the remote was always firmly in my hand, and I rewound often to watch and learn the moves.

Keep persevering! One day your body will be on autopilot without you even realizing it!! And then the fun begins...!

I agree with the arm cueing, and that is definitely fine when your facing the tv. When your back is to the tv however, or during sequences that involve lots of pivots and changes of direction, your eyes can't be on the screen to see the arm points. Otherwise, you are correct.

I think the cueing on BM2 is the worst of the lot. I usually catch on to moves fairly quickly and have done this workout a number of times, but still fumble with the steps due to the limited cueing. Cathe's voice seems a bit off and when I do this workout, I wonder if she had the beginnings of a cold or something so just wasn't up to par when she filmed. Deb

>I second that request! The only thing I would add is to
>please keep the camera straight on when changing moves - when
>it's a side view, it gets confusing. And yes, I preview a
>workouts before doing them, and I do them several times with
>the pause/rewind ready. Some of us just need a little extra
>help!
>
>thanks!

I am SO with you on this - CIA tends to do this a lot and that's why I buy very few of their videos - JUST when a new move is introduced the camera moves up in the air and to the southeast, or whatever. You figure, Oh well, I'll get it the second time, and then the SECOND time it cuts to a new shot right when the same new move comes up. It's maddening and always throws me for a loop. My brother-in-law is a movie camera operator and he says as an operator, when something new comes along, he would find it hard to resist the inclination to try a new shot to match the new move, to his way of thinking this is providing excellent camera work when he's shooting a movie. But to me it's just too confusing in an exercise video. There should be a law for exercise videos that the camera guy has to remain glued to one spot!

RE: Left Foot/Right Foot Cueing - CATHE PLEASE READ

Cathe - bumping this comment in light of the new announcement. I'm hoping this can be taken into consideration for step segments of the new series. Thanks so much for everything, Cathe!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.