Labral tear of the hip

Hi Cathe,

I just went back to find your old msgs of your recent injury because even though yours was the knee, I was just curious what they did to find it. I found you had to go through everything I have to.

First, I was doing your programs every day from about last October to this Mar/Apr. I'm in the Navy so we have to run also. During my Physical Readiness Test, I noticed a sharp pulling sensation in my right hip, almost like giving out. Well, I decided to stay off it a few weeks to see what happened. Nothing. It still happened. Motrin only was a quick fix. After months of PT, it still didn't help. During this time, I was losing all my great muscle definition I gained during your workouts :( Especially my butt...I really liked how it looked...lol. But it was going back to the secretary's spread because I couldn't do squats or lunges any longer and even light aerobics aggrivated it.

Well back to the Doc's. They realized it was probably an interior probelm and they ordered an MRI...from there a MRA (that's the worse thing I ever went through....that dye..yuck!) It was revealed I had a labral tear of the hip joint and that I would probably need a hip anthroscopy. (Now this is military doctors we are talking about). In the mean time, I'm getting cortosoid injections with the aid of an X-ray into my hip. This starts next week. They want to see how that goes before actually performing surgery.

Unfortunately for me since I'm in the military (which I am proud of by the way), our medical facilities do not work as fast as yours so everything is being drawn out for me. I miss working out. I started back on light aerobics and even bought an elliptical machine, because once the tear was diagnosed I was told by the Doc's it won't get worse and to try and stay in shape for the surgery since it may be a six month recovery time. I also went to runnersworld.com where this is an awesome thread (about 2 years worth) on this very injury which happens to be common.

If anyone has hip pain they can not explain, I definately recommend seeing a doctor. It can be helped.

Anyway, I wanted to tell my story to you since I know exactly what you went through. You are in much better shape than I am so your recovery time and getting back in shape will be faster than me...lol.

I do want to thank you though for being an inspiration. I'm not glad this happened to you, but I'm glad that you are a someone that I can look to in a case like this. Thanks Cathe :)

Have you gotten an outside referral? I am former military, military brat, and spouse so I understand the complexity of actually getting an outside referral. If they want to put you under the knife, they should allow you to have a second opinion via someone off post within the Tricare Prime network.

I am sorry you have to wait so long to have anything done. I guess this is part of the problem with MTFs. This is why I now see an off-post doctor, but I am also a dependent and know that is not possible for AD servicemembers. Anyway, try and see if you can get a referral offpost for a second opinion. It is your right.

Sorry I don't have any other advice for you. I have on and off again knee problems, so I can relate in some aspects. If your doctor gave you the go ahead to workout lightly, I would do so. The elliptical is a great machine and great on the joints. Stay positive and keep your chin up. :D

Thanks fitnessangel. Unfortunately with the military we can't go out and get second opinions even through tricare. If we have the medical facilities available to us this is what we have to take....the drawbacks of being military and having free medical care. I'm not too worried though, I know many people who have had the surgery for their knee and hips through this hospital (Portsmouth Medical). Plus everything I've read on this injury recommends the surgery.

The pain level I'm at right now, if I continue to live with it and do nothing would eventually lead to osteoarthritis and possible hip replacement years from now. With the surgery I'll be out most of six months and will be able to get back to normal activity. It's a gamble either way.

Having been former Navy as well, I well know the drawn out timeframe that it takes to get anything done! I have to say, though, that if they tell you a 6 month recovery time after surgery, be very, very thankful that you *are* AD and you will continue to received a paycheck and not have to go on disability (as in the civilian world).

All things considered, Portsmouth is a good MTF, especially because it's one of the larger ones in the Navy.

Good Luck!!! (Hey, you're getting out of the PRT, right? That was the bain of my military time!!!)

Okay well I do not agree with the eliptical and my reason is that the Precor actually irritated the hip area for me and it went away after I stopped using the machine.

I guess it is different in the Army. My DH got a second opinion for his ankle surgery off-post. I do agree that the system is flawed and drawn out, but at least you are getting a paycheck:), plus you should get 30 days leave after the surgery. As far as the elliptical machine, it all depends on what kind you have and what kind of injury you have. Many therapists recommend it. My grandy uses it and she had hip surgery last year. Of course she is in the recovery phase, but for her it has strengthen her a great deal. I do think that whatever you do you should heed your doctor's opinion on exercise. Think positive:)

Hi nccjones65! Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear of your struggles. You must be so very frustrated. I completely feel for you and I do wish you all my best. I hope that it turns out that you won't be needing that surgery, however, if you do end up needing it, I'm hopeful that you will come out of it strong and determined to safely get back on your feet. As you know, you can't rush progress.

Please keep me posted!

By the way, I have a friend who's daughter is an avid ballet dancer. She was experiencing the same exact pain as you described so her doctor is ordering a dye injected MRI to rule out a labral hip tear. Her daughter is extremely nervous about this procedure (the whole needle injection thing...who wouldn't be right?). Is this a very painful ordeal? I had to go through this dye injection into my knee joint and it was very unpleasant but tolerable (for about 5 seconds ;-)). I can only imagine how it would feel in the hip.

Thanks Cathe, I appreciate your good wishes. As for the dye injected MRI, it's nasty is all I can say...lol. Like you, I could live with the needle going in, but it was the dye that was the wierd part. The doctor kept telling me to take deep breaths over and over. It was the strangest sensation. Afterwards I got real lightheaded, and I'm not sure what it was from. It's definatley not something I ever want to go through again.

It seems they really want to see how the cortosoid injections do first. Military likes to go the least expensive way first...lol. I don't know though, every day I feel the pull, now matter what I do, I could be standing and turn slightly and it feels like my whole hip just gives out but it's only for a few seconds then it's gone. Today, my LT was joking with me and she had her hands on my shoulders from behind and pulled me back and I about went through the roof! It's very frustrating to live with.

I go back to the Doctor's tomorrow and I've done a lot of research since my last visit so I have notes galore that I'm going to ask. I can't believe this has even happened to me. I wouldn't consider myself to be very athletic. I love working out and staying in shape, but just to stay toned. This can happen to anyone.

I will definately be careful with my recovery, but do hope to get back in shape soon after they decide what is best for me.

Hi alsrnbsn! Good to hear from someone who knows what I'm talking about..lol. Yes, Portsmouth Naval Hospital is a very good MTF and I'm actually very confident in my doctors.

As for the six months recovery time, I believe they mean to getting back to 100%, I'll only be on convalescent leave a few weeks, but I really haven't talked much about that since that's the last option right now. I'm actually retiring in a year, so it also helps with VA disability...lol.

I actually enjoy PRT! I know, call me crazy and after 19 years the fall PRT will be the first I ever missed :( I almost feel like a failure.

Anway, thanks to everyone for the support! You are great and even though I haven't posted much on this board, I'll keep everyone up to date:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.