knee "noise" doing lunges...

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
Cathe, my left knee, when the right is in front, makes a "crunchy" noise on the lift. Going down, all is quiet. My ? is, am I doing damage? There is no pain at all during or after lunges. No noise at all doing squats. And it just on my left. I also run, but no noise or pain...Thanks for any advice, Kay(this getting older is for the birds) :)

Cathe, my left knee, when the right is in front, makes a "crunchy" noise on the lift. Going down, all is quiet. My ? is, am I doing damage? There is no pain at all during or after lunges. No noise at all doing squats. And it just on my left. I also run, but no noise or pain...Thanks for any advice, Kay(this getting older is for the birds) :)

Hi Kay! I have been told by the doc's that as long as popping and crackling noises aren't accompanied by pain it should be fine. However, I personally would like to add if you are over 35 and doing frequent high impact activities in addition to advanced leg workouts, you'll benefit greatly from doing longer warm ups and cool down stretches per workout and putting more recovery days in between advanced workouts. My reasoning for this is up until now you haven't been feeling any pain so let's keep it that way :D

My pain is in my shoulder

Thanks for the great advice Cathe. I have the same thing, noise but no pain, in my shoulder. At 35 docs told me I had beginning stages of arthritis and that was the cause of the noise. That's the reason I stay active.

Glad to see I'm not the only old fart around here though!!

Thanks Cathe,I'll try the longer warm-ups and cool downs. I'll be 47 in January...I Just hope to be able to keep up with what I'm doing now when I'm 67...Thanks again, Kay

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.