Interval training question

HollyCat

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I know it is not recommended to do an interval workout such as Imax or Imax 2 more than 2-3x a week (if that much), with 2 days of non-interval training in between. However, I'm a little fuzzy as to which other cardio workouts are classified as interval workouts. For example, Boot Camp, MIC (with the blast at the end), and most of the cardio portions of the CTX series contain at least some intervals that get me to my anaerobic threshold when I do them at full intensity. Is it advisable to stay away from these types of workouts between full-fledged interval workouts, or is it okay to do, say, Boot Camp and Imax 2 on consecutive days?

Thanks for any guidance.

Holly

Hi Holly! I'm referring to high intensity cardio based interval workouts when I say don't do them more than one two two non-consecutive days per week. A cardio workout that contains a few blasts here and there or at the end of a workout, would not be included since that type of workout is not pushing your anaerobic threshold for the duration of the workout.

Also, Boot Camp would not be considered a high intensity cardio based interval workout, but rather a fitness circuit workout, because you are doing one minute blasts that incorporate cardio blasts, muscle endurance blasts, and core conditioning.

So to answer your question directly, yes, you can do Boot Camp or MIC a day after IMAX but, as always, remember to listen to your body. On days where your body feels very strong, go ahead and challenge yourself with a couple of extra hard workout days before having a lower intensity day. But if you wake up after a high intensity workout day feeling overall tired and very stiff, then go for a mild workout day or even a day off on that day. Take Care :)

Boot Camp would not be considered a high intensity
>cardio based interval workout, but rather a fitness circuit
>workout, because you are doing one minute blasts that
>incorporate cardio blasts, muscle endurance blasts, and core
>conditioning.

Oh, my! I would have definitely considered Bootcamp a high intensity cardio workout (maybe not cardio based, but woo! It is intense!)

I'm kind of surprised to hear Cathe's take on that workout. :*

Hi Jul! Oh, make no mistake, Boot Camp IS certainly a high intensity workout....but a high intensity 'fitness circuit' workout. The cardio blast is only one of four areas that are featured and focused on in this workout.

When I refer to something being a cardio workout, I'm meaning for the cardio to be a good majority of the workouts focus.

Hope this helps to clarify it for you :)

Thanks so much for the clarification Cathe. I was just logging on to the Cathe page to see if there was an answer on this. I got just what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification, Cathe!

I knew that you were superwoman already, but I thought you were classifying that workout as a less-intense (or lighter) one! I misunderstood. That workout is not a light one by any stretch of the imagination!:)

Bootcamp is one of my favorites but I just can't seem to get through it without some modifications or hitting the pause button!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.