Interval Training--probably dumb questions

amy

Hi Cathe and everyone,

I have started a routine with Interval Training recently and I love it! Of course, I have lots of questions that I can't seem to find answers for. Help?
My goal is primarily fat burning. Ok, my questions:

1) How high is 'high'? Are you supposed to push into 85% + every interval? (or as hard as you can possibly go?) Does it still work if you get to say: 80%?
2) Conversely, how low is 'low' in the recovery phase? You're supposed to stay in your aerobic zone. Aren't you???
3) Should interval training be done in rotations like strength training? I.e. Xx weeks with intervals XX weeks with steady state cardio? (I'm kinda hoping the answer to that is yes, because its Tough!)

Right now, I'm doing Intervals 2-3 X per week and filling in steady state cardio the other days. (however many that may be). Of course, I'm not neglecting weights--currently doing your PS series--love it!

Am I using the right approach here?
Sorry if these are dumb questions!!!

Also, to everyone here, thanks SO much for all of your help and inspiration. I lurk here a LOT and I think you guys are just the best! (except on my poor credit card)

Amy

Amy - GREAT questions! I'm sorry I'm not an expert to help you with the answers, but I will watch for them because I'd like to know too. I'm also doing the PS series and trying to fill in with cardio work for fat-burning. Thanks for posting the questions!

Hi Amy! Interval training is very high intensity training and stressful on the body. More than one or two times per week could possibly set you up for injuries. Interval training is used to help improve your overall aerobic capacity, therefore making you more productive and effecient with your "typical" workouts. Interval workouts also shock the metabolism and help you break through fitness plateau's.

When doing your intervals, you should be pushing into your anaerobic threshold at your highest peak and dropping down into the low end of your training zone during your recovery.

I would not recommend a rotation based on interval training, rather keep interval training as a day to push really hard and then the next workout should be a lighter workout day. Good Luck!

RE: Interval Training--Quick follow up

Cathe,
THANKS for responding.

What I meant by rotations is: Do you do intervals 1 or 2 X per week for X weeks and then do only steady state (or something else) for XX weeks?

I.e. not do them once a week EVERY week forever?

I'm afraid that if I go down the Interval road, I'll have to do it 'forever' to maintain.

Does that make sense???

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.