instructor wannabe.....

judym64

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, I have been thinking about this for a long time and now want to do something about it. I would LOVE to become an aerobics instructor but have no previous teaching experience. I do your tapes all the time and you have inspired me to pursue this dream of mine. where do I start?? I went on the AFAA web site and saw they have a "primary certification" class but one of the pre-req is group teaching experience which I dont have!! I am an RN and have a medicaL baackground but really need a basic course. What do I do?? If anyone else out there can help me... feel free to respond!! Thanks!!!

Hey there Judy!! Kinda' hard to have experience when you're not certified, huh? I think that pre-req is silly. Nobody's gonna hire you if you're not certified, so how do you get the experience?
I'll tell you, when I went to get my cert. I wasn't even asked if I had group teaching experience. In fact, the lady who ran the workshop went through everything with us step by step, assuming that we were all inexperienced. She was really great! One tip, before I went to get ceritified, I had my mom, SIL, and friends come over to my house and I would teach them the routines that I coreographed. It really helps with the jitters on test day! Good Luck!! I hope you go for it!!

Aimee

Now Aim, how did I know youd answer me back??!! (i was gonna email you and get your advice anyway) but thanks for the help and I will also look back to "becoming a fitness pro" thanks!

Cari, I found that discussion you referred me to and printed it out. Thanks so much for responding, doesnt it seem like most of us on this site have the desire to teach fitness (or ARE already teaching) I find that very interesting. I read a lot of oprah and am a big fan of hers and she is ALWAYS preaching about following your true passion, I went to nursing school because my mom is a nurse and the whole "youll always have a job" routine, but it was never my calling, so I can identify with you and your CPA burnout. So, my adive to my 16 year old son when he asks me for career advice is find something you love to do and find a way to make money doing it. So, maybe you cant walk completely away from accounting, but you can use the money you make at it to fuel your passion, take the courses, do the research, and if you do love it, and are able to open your own gym someday, you can do your own bookeepking and taxes!!!!!!!!!

Hi Judy! I see you have already been helped but I wanted to add that when I was certified (back in early 80's, yikes)AFAA did not require group teaching experience. I would ask AFAA about that and see if that is truly mandatory. If so, maybe they have some suggestions on what you can do to gain better experience. Also, check into local hospitals, college dormitories, and fire halls, these establishments sometimes offer fitness classes for the community. This atmoshere is usually very relaxed and un-demanding. Perfect to get your feet wet. Good Luck!

RE: Judy!!!!

That is so funny, because as soon as I answered your post I went over to my email to see if you had written me:)! Are you going to do that Apex thing in Hartford? Wouldn't it be cool if we both went for our tests on the same weekend!?!?

Aimee

Wow, I was so psyched to get a response from you! Thanks so much! Im a visiting nurse for the Visiting Nurse Assoc. and we have a health promotion dept, maybe I could work something out?? I was walking by the dept today, and saw several reebok steps in the boxes, Im not sure what thats all about, it was like a sign from above!! I will ask the head of the dept tomorrow! judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.