instructor advice

laventi

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! I am a new instructor and need some advice. This month I am teaching almost every day - hi/lo, step, kickbox, weights, and bootcamp. Some days I teach 2 classes, others just one, I have one day with three classes. My problem is that most of the classes are intermediate at best and I do not want to give up my personal workouts. Realistically, I know I can't work out personally as I do now in addition to this teaching schedule. I am a mother of two and that keeps me very busy the rest of my time!

What do most instructors do - can you maintain your personal workouts while teaching daily classes? Or should I just consider my classes my workout, at least on the multiple days?

I hope this makes sense (remember, I'm still a rookie at this!)- I just enjoy working out at a higher level ( and with more weight) than are available in these classes.

Thanks in advance for your advice!:) Of course, I have to add your workouts are awesome! You are the best at what you do! Lynn.

Hi Lynn! This is hard to answer without knowing the total contents of both your club workouts and personal workouts. But generally speaking, I would definitely not do any additional working out on the day that you have three classes. On the day that you have one workout, you could maybe squeeze in another 30 minutes of whatever you feel you want to focus on right there in the gym before you go home.

But I have to honestly say that the ideal answer (if at all possible), is to cut back on the amount of classes you teach. The amount of classes that you are listing here compounded with hardly any rest days is inviting and increasing the risk of injury. Just some food for thought. Take care and good luck!

Thanks Cathe. Many of the classes I listed are classes I am subbing for, I should have mentioned that. For some reason there have been a flood of sub opportunities this month.

Anyway, I am going to back off a little, I want to enjoy teaching and overloading my schedule is not conducive to my lifestyle, since I am very focused on my kids and their activities as well. More info than necessary, I'm sure, but thanks for your response. Your "cool" (as my 4 year old would say!)! Lynn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.