Injured - Cathe please advise!

L

Lynne

Further to a knee operation which will effectively make me inactive for 6 weeks, lower body wise that is. I still want to work my upper body and abs so can I use PS back and biceps, chest and shoulders alternate days five times per week? I'm not sure whether this is too much weight lifting, can you please advise?

Question for your doctor

Lynne-
This will address lower body only, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I had 2 knee surgeries (2 different orthopedic surgeons) back in the early 90s and had 2 very different experiences. Each time I was on crutches for 6 weeks and not allowed to put any weight on my recovering knee. (My injury was to the articular cartilage on the weight-bearing surface of the femur.) I had some really tame physical therapy the first time, and when I was able to get off the crutches, my calf and thigh muscles had atrophied a lot and I never really regained my strength in that leg, which resulted in surgery #2.

After the second surgery, my doctor advised me to swim while I was still on crutches (again, non-weight bearing). I did laps with a kickboard just about every day for that six-week period and it made all the difference when I was able to get off the crutches. Talk to your doctor about what level of activity you hope to be able to resume, how you're going to get there, and how long it will realistically take. Try to find a physical therapist that is sports-medicine oriented so they can design an appropriate program for you. Be prepared to be patient and follow your PT program.

You'll still have Cathe to work your upper body, and you'll be grateful for that while you're on crutches! Feel free to email me if I can be of help.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.