increasing neck/shoulder strength

Katharine

Hi Cathe-
First, I want to thank you for making such AWESOME strength videos (as well as cardio). I have really improved my strength since using your PS series, Crosstrainers, MIS, and now the Strong and Heavy series and Power Hour. My husband was very impressed when we were building our deck this summer and I could help him with those 60 pound bags of cement!

My question has to do with weakness in the neck/shoulder area when doing standing work for the legs with a barbell. For upper body I usually use the same weight as you or a little bit less (depending on the muscle or tape). But I can't use anything higher than about 35 pounds on the barbell for standing leg work without getting really fatigued in the neck/shoulder region. In the past I've just adapted by staying at a lower weight (because I really don't want to bulk in my legs) and switching to dumbells for some sets. But I really want to challenge myself with a higher weight for the Strong and Heavy series.

I also have problems when doing ab work - I can't do the moves where at least one hand isn't behind the head. So are there any moves in particular that would help me gain strength in this area? I was thinking maybe shrugs are good for this but was wondering what advice you have. Thanks a million! My husband is glad you are continuing to challenge me so I'll be able to do my share of lifting boxes when we move to Florida in a few months :)

Hi Katharine,
I'm obviously not Cathe, but....
I've read that one is actually strengthening one's neck and shoulders when doing ab work without pulling on the neck (just cradling the head in the hands) or without support. Body builders do special weight exercises (but they get massive bulldog necks, which I'm sure you're not going for!): there are special harnesses that they put around their head and hang a weight from, then pull against the weight. A less drastic--and safer--way of doing this could be to do some isometric strength work, using your hands as resistance. For example, put your hand against the right side of your head, then at the same time push with both your head and your hand--the goal isn't movement, but resistance. You can also work the other side (of course) and forward movement (by putting your hand on your forehead). It would also work with backward movement, but be sure not to bend your head backward doing it, as it can pinch the vertebrae in your neck (but as long as you go for resistance and not movement, you should be o.k.).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.