Increased Protein and Bloating

jenniw

Could it be an increase in protein intake leads to abdominal bloating and discomfort? I have increased the amount of protein I eat throughout the day, however for the past week have experienced terrible bloating and abdominal discomfort. This is the only dietary change I have made. I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter and remedies!!!! Thanks all!

are you using protein shakes?

if you're increasing your protein by using whey or soy shakes, that may explain the bloating. i know whey protein powder in particular can cause stomach discomfort. also, some people have sensitivity to soy so increasing soy might cause problems.

if you're eating more meat, have you decreased your fiber intake? meat has no fiber so if you're replacing other foods with meat, you may need to make a concerted effort to get fiber elsewhere.

if you're getting your extra protein through dairy, that could also cause problems if you're lactose intolerant, which most of the population actually is.

these are just some suggestions--i've never heard of protein intake by itself leading to stomach difficulty.

RE: are you using protein shakes?

Just want to let you know that whey protein is dairy based, not soy. A lot of people experience bloating due to dairy but may not realize it.

I agree, you've got to keep that fiber intake up as meat can be very hard on the colon.

Also, could be increasing you're refined carbs?

http://www.fitmomsonline.com/allisig1.gif
Mommy to Zachary, Jillian and Baby due February 24, 2002​

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.