Improving posture -- which exercises?

KimberlyH

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

I just did CTX and Cardio Kicks for the first time last week and loved them all. Unfortunately, it will also be the last time for quite a while as I just had knee surgery yesterday. I won't be coming on the fall trip, either :(.

But I'm looking forward to all the upper body strength training I can do in the mean time, and my question has to do with improving my posture. I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror the other day and I was surprised at how slouch-y I looked. I also hunch over at the computer and, since I spend so many hours each day at my desk, I'd really like to work on my posture.

Short of having my mother call me hourly to remind me "stand up straight!", which exercises might help?

Thanks!

I improved my posture considerably through keeping my abs tight and shoulders back as much as possible through the day. It makes a huge difference. Also working the upper and lower back, shoulders, and abs helps. Hope you don't mind me throwing my two cents in.
I improved my posture so much that I measure at 5' 5"" instead of 5'4". I know I didn't grow in my late 20's. Now 30. But dealing with it very well. :)
Beverly

Hi Kimberly! Hope you are recovering well. Sorry to hear that you won't be making the trip. We'll miss you.

Beverly has given you fantastic advice. Working those muscle groups should do the trick.

I'll just add that when I was nursing Eric and working extra long hours on the computer that I, too, found myself falling into a terrible hunch. I made a conscious effort throughout each day to try to stand taller with my abdominals firm and my shoulders back and down. At first it was so hard to remember to do this. It seemed like everytime I stopped thinking about it I was back in a slouch. And when I did remember, I would get so fatigued from holding that position. Suddenly, one day, the extra effort paid off. I actually found myself walking around taller. I also noticed that I would contract my abs before picking Eric up, sit taller when I fed him in the high chair, and sit taller at the computer.

Good Luck and wishing you a pain free recovery.

Hi, Kimberly, I agree that Beverly's advice is excellent. May I add that keeping your head balanced over your shoulders is important. That "stomach in, shoulders back" rule is a great one, but I recommend watching your overall alignment. Also keeping the pelvis neutral so the lower back doesn't arch throwing the back out of alingnment and causing the head to go foreward. I have been observing people carefully lately as this is a problem I am trying to correct myself. Most people hunch forward, shoulders rounded forward and head pushed out. And poor posture is rampant! Besides strength training, which is terrific because it strengthens the muscles that pull the shoulders back, check out yoga which teaches proper alignment and offers backbend--moves which reverse the perpetual forewrd motion of our society and improves flexibility. Good luck!

Hi Kimberly!

Did you have knee surgery as well a couple of months ago? Just wishing you a very speedy recovery - I've had two operations myself, one on each knee - what a pain! But hang in there - hopefully all this inconvenience will be worth it in the long run. Keep us posted on your progress.....

Best wishes!
Colia

Hi Kimberly, it's funny that you should ask about this. . . I have been noticing REAL improvements in my posture lately, and it's from doing Pilates (I just have Denise Austin's Pilates tape and I really like it, it is actually pretty good). Unfortunately there is a lot of Pilates you won't be able to do until you're done with your 6 non-weight-bearing weeks, but try it when you can. I think it is the emphasis on the tapes on "scapular retraction" --in Pilates you keep your shoulder blades down and flat while you're doing all your exercises, and somehow that has REALLY translated into my real life too. I find myself in that "pilates position", with my shoulder blades anchored back and my neck long, almost unconsciously. And I don't do Pilates every day by any means, more like once a week. I think it is an awareness issue. . . it is so COMFORTABLE to stand that way once you get used to it. My neck especially feels better. SO, that's my 2 cents worth!!

I'm another Pilates fan. I started mat classes (twice weekly) about 8 weeks ago & it's really helping posture, flexibility & torso strength. The one tape I have, Precision Toning, is also mainly floor work though you might need to skip or modify some movements because of your knee. It's amazing how upperbody moves can engage your legs!

Yoga would have the same benefits as Pilates. Scott Cole's Millenium stretch gets rave reviews. It doesn't really fit into a single category (Tai Chi, yoga, etc) but it also gets you thinking about your posture. I think I have Nancy C. for starting me on this one! If you can find it, Karen Voight has a new Pilates video. I like Voight a lot more than Austin, though I've read Austin's is fairly low key in her Pilates video.

I found that Pilates & Millenium Stretch make me much more aware of my body position so that I do make those corrections that Cathe suggested. Kimberly, good for you for not whining about your knee, but looking at this as an opportunity to work on other things!
Debra

Thanks, everyone!

I guess I'm just lazy and was hoping to hear that one particular upper body exercise was just what I needed. I have most of the tapes everyone suggested--Karen Voight's new tape, most of the Precision Toning tapes, Millennium Stretch (that was my last tape I did Sunday night before Monday's fun and games at the hospital). I know what I need to do and I am capable of perfect posture when I devote some thought to it. It's just to easy to get caught up in work and next thing I know, my shoulders are up around my ears.

Oh well, something to strive for ...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.