Illness and working out.

Vickie C.

Cathlete
Dear Cathe,

I have always wondered how hard should I push myself when I'm ill. I usually do a workout no matter what, unless I'm really sick. At the moment I have some respiratory gunk. Last week I was on antibiotics and had a fever for 5 days. Needless to say, I took a couple days off then. I still have a couph, and I have been trying to push through it. It is so frustrating though. I end up hyper-ventilating and couphing like crazy. I just hate trying to come back from an illness. My question is this; should I continue to "push it" and just get through the workout, or should I stick to weight training until this stuff is completely out of my lungs? Intellectually speaking, I know that I'm sick and that's why the workouts have been so hard, but emotionally I feel like a quitter and a wuss. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Vickie

Hi Vickie,

I'm not Cathe but I just wanted to say that I'm the same way. I always feel guilty if I don't get my workout in, unless I'm completely laid flat. I don't know if it's true but I tell myself I'm burning up the germs when I work out!

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Steph

>Dear Cathe,
>
> I have always wondered how hard should I push myself when I'm
>ill. I usually do a workout no matter what, unless I'm really
>sick. At the moment I have some respiratory gunk. Last week I
>was on antibiotics and had a fever for 5 days. Needless to
>say, I took a couple days off then. I still have a couph, and
>I have been trying to push through it. It is so frustrating
>though. I end up hyper-ventilating and couphing like crazy. I
>just hate trying to come back from an illness. My question is
>this; should I continue to "push it" and just get through the
>workout, or should I stick to weight training until this stuff
>is completely out of my lungs? Intellectually speaking, I know
>that I'm sick and that's why the workouts have been so hard,
>but emotionally I feel like a quitter and a wuss. Any advice
>would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Vickie

I'm not cathy either, but I wanted to respond. Your lungs are already stressed from the cold/virus you have. Your asking your lungs to work harder with the exercise. I'm a firm believer in listening to your body and letting it heal. Since you have the mucous thing going on, I would completely rest for a few more days. You don't want a reoccurance in a few weeks or let your symptoms escalate into something more serious. Rest ;-)

Thanks for your replies, I did weights today only, and it wasn't too bad, I can tell I'm just not up to par though. I think I will rest for a few days and just come back hopefully stronger because of it.
Thanks again, Vickie

Vickie,

I like to push myself into a cardio workout when I feel a cold/flu leaving my body. I feel like it gets everything out of my body and cleanses it. The only thing is that trying it too soon can make it worse. I only push through if I can get through without coughing, wheezing, etc. Ther is usually some discomfort in breathing (b/c I am stuffy or what not) but at the end of the workout, you feel like you can get it all out of you and like you can breathe even better.

It sounds like you had a pretty difficult go of it with the fever and antibiotics. Try doing just some weights (like you posted) and maybe just taking a walk as your cardio for a few days. Get lots of rest. It sound like you need it. You won't hurt your progress by giving yourself extra time to heal.

Hope you are feeling better :)
Christine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.