If I spin today can I do a leg workout tomorrow?

ChubbyChick

Hi,
I know that we are supposed to alternate cardio with weights but if I do a real intense cardio workout that focuses a lot on legs are my muscles ready for a lowerbody workout the next day? If I spin and usually use moderate - heavy resistance for 45-60 minutes,will I be recovered enough tomorrow? Also if it were a tough step tape or a long run...I was just wondering, because my quads are usually toast the following day and I know we are supposed to listen to our bodies but then again if everyone can alternate, maybe I am just being a wuss.

Hi,

Best to still follow the rule of waiting a day - spinning does really work the legs and they will definitely need a break ! I have actually cut down on my leg-work since I started spinning as I found that alone kept my lower half supertoned without the need for extra weight work.

Enjoy !! Spinning is the best for your lower half - toning and fat-burning in one.

None of us are wusses! Listen to your body. If you have heavy &/or sore legs, then don't push it. You will probably recover faster if you give them a little stretching or easy cardio like walking or swimming. (Not that all swimming or walking is easy - I'll have Honeybunch & Aquajock on me in a flash if I don't clarify.)

You're not a wuss! But I will offer a different opinion. I think it would be fine to do a LIGHT weight workout the next day. In fact, there is a book out that promotes doing LIGHT leg workouts everyday as a way of getting lean instead of bulky (their idea is that since muscle needs rest to grow, by not resting it, you keep it from getting bulky). Take it or leave it!

Hi ChubbyChick! I would say that if the day after you spin, your legs are so sore that it hurts to do daily activites (ie: using stairs, severe stiffness when rising from a chair), then it is better to leave those muscles alone that day. But if the day after your spin workout your legs are just mildly tight, then a leg workout will be fine. Good luck!

I am one of types that may bulk up easy. What is the name of the book that tells you about keeping it lean by working out daily?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.