Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Ask Cathe

Ask Cathe This is a forum to ask Cathe Friedrich a question. Cathe can't answer every post, but will try to answer as many as possible.

How much of an issue in muscle development is age?

This is a discussion on How much of an issue in muscle development is age? within the Ask Cathe forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; I'm not looking for an excuse to not work out 'cause I'm "too old", but realistically, how big a factor ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Cathlete

Default How much of an issue in muscle development is age?

I'm not looking for an excuse to not work out 'cause I'm "too old", but realistically, how big a factor is getting older? Should I be able to get as much muscle development at 60 that I did at 50? or 40? It seems a lot of older people who still work out seem to lose a lot of muscle mass. does muscle development drop off like cardiovascular capacity?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Cathlete

Default How much of an issue in muscle development is age?

I'm not looking for an excuse to not work out 'cause I'm "too old", but realistically, how big a factor is getting older? Should I be able to get as much muscle development at 60 that I did at 50? or 40? It seems a lot of older people who still work out seem to lose a lot of muscle mass. does muscle development drop off like cardiovascular capacity?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Cathlete

Send a message via AIM to maddiesmum
Default RE: How much of an issue in muscle development is age?

I don't have a scientific answer for you. But thinking about it logically, I would say that the musculature you can build at age 30 as a female is way more than that which you can build at age 60.

For starters, after menopause, your body is busy replacing muscle tissue with fat due to declining estrogen levels. This process began back sometime in your late 30's and 40's anyway due to the natural aging process where women lose muscle mass yearly at a certain percentage rate.

Add to this the fact that as you age your body takes longer to repair itself and to recover from exercise and you probably metabolize proteins differently, certainly more slowly, and I should think you would have to work much harder to build and maintain muscle mass.

But, could you do it with concerted effort? I hope so and would give a tentative "maybe." But it certainly wouldn't be easy.

Clare
Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Cathlete

I don't have a scientific answer for you. But thinking about it logically, I would say that the musculature you can build at age 30 as a female is way more than that which you can build at age 60.

For starters, after menopause, your body is busy replacing muscle tissue with fat due to declining estrogen levels. This process began back sometime in your late 30's and 40's anyway due to the natural aging process where women lose muscle mass yearly at a certain percentage rate.

Add to this the fact that as you age your body takes longer to repair itself and to recover from exercise and you probably metabolize proteins differently, certainly more slowly, and I should think you would have to work much harder to build and maintain muscle mass.

But, could you do it with concerted effort? I hope so and would give a tentative "maybe." But it certainly wouldn't be easy.

Clare
Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Cathlete
Amy Steppe's Profile Fields

I do think a 50 or 60 year old body that does work out with cardio and weights is going to look better than a sedentary 35 year old body.

I have no intention on giving up my fitness because I know although difficult, any effort I put into working out is time well spent.

I am 53 years old and holding....

Cheers!

Amy
Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Cathlete
Amy Steppe's Profile Fields

I do think a 50 or 60 year old body that does work out with cardio and weights is going to look better than a sedentary 35 year old body.

I have no intention on giving up my fitness because I know although difficult, any effort I put into working out is time well spent.

I am 53 years old and holding....

Cheers!

Amy
Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Catheite

Amy,

I agree with you except I'm almost 65 and I'm not giving up either.

Last week I spent 4 hours solid up on our roof shoveling snow before it caved in on us. Almost every 5 days out of the week I've spent shoveling 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours in my llama pens so they have a little room to roam and some around the house. If it wasn't for exercising 3 times a week, doing step aerobics, lifting weights, pilates, using my stabiltiy ball and bosu there is no way I could do what I do.

Sometimes being stubborn pays because as long as I can still do them I'm going to keep on doing them :D .

Darlene
Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Catheite

Amy,

I agree with you except I'm almost 65 and I'm not giving up either.

Last week I spent 4 hours solid up on our roof shoveling snow before it caved in on us. Almost every 5 days out of the week I've spent shoveling 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours in my llama pens so they have a little room to roam and some around the house. If it wasn't for exercising 3 times a week, doing step aerobics, lifting weights, pilates, using my stabiltiy ball and bosu there is no way I could do what I do.

Sometimes being stubborn pays because as long as I can still do them I'm going to keep on doing them :D .

Darlene
Old 02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Cathlete

"I do think a 50 or 60 year old body that does work out with cardio and weights is going to look better than a sedentary 35 year old body."

I agree, probably, it would depend upon the 35 year old body. However, my comments were made along the lines of "all things being equal". At least that was my understanding of the question.

So, "all things being equal" i.e. both 30 year old and 60 year old involved in serious cardio and lifting program, the 30 year old will develop muscle and build mass with greater ease.

We cannot stop the aging process, but a committed exercise regime certainly slows it down.

Clare
Old 02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Cathlete

"I do think a 50 or 60 year old body that does work out with cardio and weights is going to look better than a sedentary 35 year old body."

I agree, probably, it would depend upon the 35 year old body. However, my comments were made along the lines of "all things being equal". At least that was my understanding of the question.

So, "all things being equal" i.e. both 30 year old and 60 year old involved in serious cardio and lifting program, the 30 year old will develop muscle and build mass with greater ease.

We cannot stop the aging process, but a committed exercise regime certainly slows it down.

Clare