How many times a week to exercise

fitnurse

Cathlete
I work 12 hour shifts alternating 3 days one week and 4 the next. There is no way I can work out after getting home at 7:30 or 8 in the evening. I already get up at 5:30 on my work days to get ready and get to work. I work out every day that I don't work. I have seen a loss of 5 lbs. in a 2 month period of using Cathe videos. I need to lose 20 lbs. more. Can I expect to lose, if I structure my eating more, and only workout on the days I don't work? I am 5'4 and weight 150#. I bulk up easily and have started doing more cardio lately. I LOVE the Cathe videos and had never done step before this, as I thought I couldn't master the steps. It has become a favorite!! Cathe is very genuine - and that is something you don't find much of anymore.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

May I suggest the CTX series? I work one long day every week - 10 or 11 hours - but I can do one of these tapes in the morning. I always work out in the morning and then I don't have to think about it when I come home tired. Also, could you run up and down the steps at your hospital? Hospitals always have killer stairwells.

I work in a church, and with Christmas being the busiest time of the year, I have gone into a CTX mode. There's ALWAYS time for a CTX workout. You could do most of your weight work on your days off.

For what it's worth. http://www.plaudersmilies.de/xmas/wmann3.gif

Thanks honeybunch! There are times when I think if I just got up a half hour earlier on my work days I could fit in something like CTX or part of a step tape. I just need to commit, I guess.
Thanks for the suggestion! I do take the stairs at work but barely have time to wolf down something for lunch. ICU is always so hectic. But perhaps I can fit a few times up and down in before and after work.
Thanks again and hope you are having a great holiday season!
Lynn

Hi, Lynne! Are you certain there's no way you could work out after work? Walking in the door and slipping into walking shoes to go for a ten or fifteen minute BRISK walk before slipping back in to finish off your evening might do amazing things for you! The thing about exercise is every little bit helps and a workout doesn't have to be very long or very intense to add wonderful benefits!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Bobbi

Honeybunch,
Yes, I was off for Thanksgiving so will work Christmas, and the 2 days after. My husband is a nurse also, so we always have a lot to talk about. I am working on your suggestion with the CTX series and maybe getting up even a half hour earlier on work days to do 20 or 30 minutes. I think it will basically be how badly I WANT this! Thanks for your suggestions! I love nursing and the ICU/CCU areas because they are so challenging. But, it can be so emotionally draining at times. Exercise really helps with that.

Bobbi,
On days where I get out on time I could possibly walk for 10 minutes, or if it's still light out I could ride my bike. Thanks for giving me some ideas. I will let you all know how I do in the upcoming weeks!! I love this forum! I used to work out with my sister and then moved here to get married 5 years ago and cannot seem to find anyone that wants to work out. A lot of people talk about it, but it never happens. You guys are all my work out partners. Thanks for the support!!

Hi, fitnurse! I, too am a critical care nurse. It is a bummer working the holidays, I worked Thanksgiving, and will work Christmas Eve. But since I truly love what I do, and can see that my work makes a difference, it makes it easier to work on holidays. It also helps my motivation to stay fit, when I see so many patients are ill as a result of unhealthy lifestyles. This time of year is SO stressful in the ICU, maybe because the pts are so much sicker, or it's harder to focus? I find if I at least get in a short cardio, it helps so much with my stress level. Also, if you are too tired after working 12hrs, how about some relaxing yoga? Ali Macgraw's tape is so calming and relaxing, while invigorating at the same time. Happy Holidays!
Mary

Mary,
Thanks for your suggestions and support. I think I'm going to set a goal to start getting up earlier on work days, after Jan. 1st. I'm doing the 2002 challenge so that will be a good goal for me. Also, yoga sounds really interesting. I remember my mom doing it when I was young, but I've not tried it yet. I think I'll get a tape and try your suggestion.

Our hospital is jam packed right now, as I'm sure yours is also with all the CHF, COPD, Pneumonia, and we have had so many overdose/suicide attempts. I think because so many people get depressed around the holidays. So sad...and so hard to work with many of them.

I hope you have a good holiday season! We do have a great calling as nurses. At least I see it that way!

Lynne, I just bought a tape called Total Yoga at target for $6.99 and I love it! My fitness goal for the New Year is improved flexibility and it's a step in the right direction! You have a great attitude and I am confident you will do whatever it takes to incorporate exercise into your busy life! Blessed are health care givers who give so much to so many! Have a wonderful Holiday Season!

Bobbi

Hi,
I work 2 12-hour days followed by 2 12-hour nights then 5 days off...this month we only get 4 days off in between. I tell you it takes me the entire day after that last shift to recover and half of the next day.
i tried exercising during those shift days and felt like I wouldn't live through the final shift! So now I just exercise during my days off...sometimes it is difficult because like I said...the first day and a half I'm a zombie :p
I love S&H because I don't have to hop around like cardio and compared to my firm videos it doesn't require speed either...just set up the step,get water and start lifting. Do it 3 x/week and i'm set ...sometimes one of them lands on a shift day but if I do an arm or chest series then i'm okay as long as it isnt legs!
I didn't gain any weight but lost some doing this series for a month...it shrunk my arm fat and does wonders for the pooch, dont know why since they say only cardio would do that but the pooch is almost gone!

Kiwi,
Thanks for you suggestions. 12 hour shifts are hard, aren't they? Sometimes I do double workouts on my days off, though. I just thought about that, and I think that helps a lot.

I just ordered the PS series on DVD and got it yesterday. Unfortunately I had done weights the day before so did step yesterday and walked for half and hour. I will try PS on Friday. I love lifting weights, but need to lose weight. Maybe I'll have some of the same success you have.

Thanks again for replying! Keep working out, we are worth it!!

Happy holiday season!
Lynn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.