how many calories burned?

MThede

How many calories (in general) get burned off during an intense cardio/cardio&weights workout? My treadmill tells me, but my step routines do not. My favorite workout with Cathe is IMAX 2, so let's go with that one.

That answer is relative to each individual depending on age, weight activity level & sex etc.

A Heart Rate monitor used properly will give you a proper answer :)

Typically for myself I can burn anywhere from 400-600 cal or sometimes even more depending on how I'm feeling that day.

picture.php

Your TM reading is probably not terribly accurate b/c it is not taking into account your fitness level, probably not your age/weight/height (or maybe some of those but not all), your heart rate unless you wear a strap (do you?) I know my TM came with a strap so I could use it without the watch part, and therefore not know what my calorie expenditure was unless I was on the TM. If, however, you are just going by numbers that the TM generates, without HR and other info, and you really want to track calories burned, invest in a heart rate monitor. They are, as ShyWolf said, quite accurate.

calories burned

How many calories (in general) get burned off during an intense cardio/cardio&weights workout? My treadmill tells me, but my step routines do not. My favorite workout with Cathe is IMAX 2, so let's go with that one.

As you have already read MThede, there just is no way to know this for sure, especially the readings displayed on the screens of cardio units. An example of this is to turn your treadmill on but not actually step on it. It will still tell you that you burned such and such calories, when you didn't even stand on the unit. So you know right there that they are not basing these calculations on you personally but rather generalized input.

Again, as others have mentioned your calories burned will depend on many factors including the intensity of the exercise, your weight and your gender. Here is a link to a simple calories burned calculator that will help you to reasonably calculate how many calories you have burned for various activities : http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi You will want to select Aerobics – High Impact and then enter your weight and 58 minutes for exercise duration. The calculator will then give you the total calories burned you can expect for doing this activity. In this case the calories burned are probably lower than what you will actually do as the intensity level used to define “Aerobics – High intensity” is probably lower than your intensity level in doing Imax2.

You can also use our Workout Manager (WM) which will easily show you your calories burned for any of my DVD workouts that you scheduled in the WM calendar. But first make sure you have filled out your age and gender in your userCP and have entered and saved at least your height and weight in the Body Log tab of the WM. Then just schedule an Imax 2 workout in the calendar for the WM and your calories burned will be automatically calculated. We use a higher intensity value “called a Met value” for Imax2 of 9, compared to a Met value of 6.6 for the calculator I gave you a link to above. Reason being we feel that Imax2 is much more intense than exercises used in setting the intensity level of the “Aerobics – High intensity” general category. Your calories burned will of course depend on how much effort you put into your workout. The two methods of calculating calories burned should give you a good idea of about how many calories you will burn when you do Imax2. There are other methods of measuring calories burned that are more accurate, but they require medical or trained professionals and expensive equipment to perform.

Hope this helps :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.