how long after eating to workout?

nightowl81

Cathlete
For Cathe or anyone, How long should you wait to workout after eating? I try to workout 2 hours after lunch, but I feel a bit nauseated during my workout. I like to have something for energy though and not be on a completely empty stomach (like first thing in the morning).

Cathe, since you teach classes all day, what do you eat that's light without "weighing you down" but keeps you going during the day?

I workout first thing in the morning (4:30am) so I have 1 scoop of protein powder (muscle milk). I used to WO on an empty stomach, what a difference it makes having some fuel in there. I ususally eat within 1/2 hour after the workout also (breakfast).

Working out on an empty stomach is the worst feeling imaginable...I usually have an apple and pb, or an apple and cheese stick. or a slice of plain pizza about an hour before my workout, and some protein about 1/2 hour after...usually some tuna or a bison sirloin steak, especially after a weight day.

Working out hungry is great for yoga, not so good for other workouts, especially Cathe.

After I eat, I need to wait 3 hours. Especially if the workout is a hard one, and they most likely are. If I wait 2 1/2 hours or less I will get nauseated. Immediately after a workout I make myself a protein drink, then continue with my day.

Everyone is different though, and you might want to see what is good for you, and listen to your body.

Hope this helps a bit,

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

my two cents, although in this market I realize its worth 0

Everyone is different though, and you might want to see what is good for you, and listen to your body.
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Exactly what I was going to say. I tend to have lower blood sugar so I eat a hard boiled egg before. After my shower/getting dressed, I have a meal with protein/fat/veggies. I do realize its a little unconventional. And some people don't have the stomach for it but I don't have the blood sugar to go without. Also, I do better if I have my fish oil before hand with the egg. I don't drink anything sweet before.

Exactly what I was going to say. I tend to have lower blood sugar so I eat a hard boiled egg before.

I also have blood sugar issues so I eat 1/4 a serving of a Nature Valley Oats & Honey granola bar (45 cal) right before working out (I workout 1st thing in the AM and don't have time to wait for digestion). It is light enough that it doesn't make me nauseous at all, plus it has enough easily digestible sugars that I don't have a blood sugar crash part way through or after the workout. :)

I have a protein shake immediately after working out on lifting days, nothing after cardio only.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.