Help! My butt hurts!!

missyb70

Cathlete
Cathe, I absolutely love Butts & Guts!! I've been doing it once a week since February. However, after doing it 3 weeks ago, after the general soreness went away after a day or two, I was left with a deep ache right in the center of my left butt cheek that radiates down a little bit into my hamstring. I skipped 2 weeks of Butts & Guts and did Slow & Heavy legs w/ no ache/problems, but now last Friday 04/20 I did Butts & Guts again and the ache came back. It went away after 3-4 days so I tried it again today - - I did skip the hamstring exercises on the ball and step today - - but the ache is now back. I wonder if I am just over training or am I doing one or some of the exercises wrong? Any suggestions? I don't want to give up Butts & Guts, but I also don't want to injure myself. Thanks!!

Not Cathe here - but I have been doing B & G's three times a week for 6 months now and I have never experienced that before. It is my favorite leg workout so far. I always do my legs three times a week. Maybe you are doing something wrong. Is it just on the left side? If so, maybe there could be some under lying reason for it. It seems like you would be experiencing it on both sides.

Cheryl

Now that you mention it, I believe the first time it happened, it was on the right side. Now it's on the left side. But it's the same area and same ache. And it never hurts while I'm working out, as in an actual injury, just afterwards.

Not Cathe or a MD, but I've had the same problem. In looking on the internet, I ran across something called "piriformis syndrome" that produces these symptoms. Everything I read said that progressive stretching of the glute muscles would help, so I started incorporating lots more stretching for the glutes each day. I didn't see a Dr, so I don't for sure if this was what was wrong with me, but the stretching really has made a huge difference. Again, I'm not a health care professional, I just had a similar problem. I hope this helps!

Hi,

Not Cathe nor a doctor, but I herniated a disc recently and have read up on similar issues. My problems started with similar feelings, tight glute, pain, and and little pain down the hamstring. I pushed it and ended up with a major problem.

It could just be piriformis syndrome because in some people the sciatic nerve runs through the piriformis muscle and when the muscle is inflammed, it presses on the nerve causing pain/tingling etc. down the leg. It could also be a disc problem which can cause the same symptoms. I've read that piriformis syndrome can be difficult to get over too. It also could be something else, who knows?

Eion Finn yoga has a magically hips routine that really helped me to stretch out the hips and piriformis muscle. When the disc herniated, mine was so sore that you could not touch it. With consistent yoga I'm almost back to normal, but you do not want to let it get that far.

Tracy

My sciatic nerve used to act up all the time wether I lifted or not. My 4 pregnancies did not help. But my doctor told me to have proper lifting techniques when picking up my kids and groceries. Just take it easy and ask a doctor what it is. A pinched, irritated nerve is nothing to play with. I hope you feel better.

Does the pain increase when you sit? Does the pain feel like it begins right beneath the sitting bone in your glute? I developed a similar type pain after doing heavy squats several years ago and I had ischial tuberosity bursitis...a fancy name for the inflamation of the bursa behind the sitting bone. Another possibility to check.

Karen

Tracy - which Eion Finn workout has that routine? Sound like something I need and would love to try.

I'm no doctor, but it sounds a lot like piriformis syndrome (which others have already mentioned). I'm all too familiar with this, as I suffered with it last year while I trained for a half-marathon (and at the beginning of my marathon training), and it still sneaks up on me every now and then these days. It rarely bothered me DURING my runs, but would ache horribly when I was sitting in my office chair all day at work. Sitting is the worst for piriformis syndrome - it really aggravates things. PS can be really hard to get under control - the best treatment plan for me involved Yoga twice a week, and deep tissue sports massage therapy every 2 weeks. The "tennis ball technique" also helped keep things under control between massage appts (you can google that - it's a pretty popular self-treatment). I have read that lunges can aggravate the piriformis muscle, and there are a lot of lunges in B&G... which could be why it seems to cause the most trouble for you. Do a google search for piriformis syndrome - there's a lot of helpful information out there. And feel free to PM me if you want to. :)

Hi,

I've had all of the symptoms of piriformis syndrome and feel that I probably got piriformis syndrome secondary to the herniated disc. Because a herniated disc that is pressing on the sciatic nerve will sometimes produce the same symptoms that piriformis syndrome does. I think that my piriformis muscle, along with some others were so impacted by the irritated sciatic nerve that they were somewhat damaged.

I used the tennis ball technique in the beginning and it did help, alot, along with using the stick to massage the muscles. Once I could actually move, I've done Eion Finn's magically hips (on Yoga for Happiness)almost daily for a couple of weeks, and now I do it every other day and on off days do B Kest or Shiva. I credit most of my recovery to adding yoga and religiously stretching 3x then 2x per day, plus reading the book, "Healing the back pain, The mind body connection" which actually was suggested by someone on this forum. The flexibility keeps the muscles from tightening up and putting more pressure on the nerve, which then creates pain, lack of oxegen, tightening etc; a vicious cycle that is hard to break.

Tracy

Hi,

Just one more thing, when doing yoga, I don't yet, fold down with straight legs and a straight back. I always fold with bent knees. The other way is stressful to the back, when it is injured. I do however, straighten my legs, once down, but always come up with bent knees.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.