Help with losing the fat layer!

RippedRipa

Hi Cathe!

I must say that while I am new to your forum, I am not new to working out and have been doing both cardio and weights for years. But thanks to you and the GS series, I am stronger than ever! I can match the weights you use in almost all of the exercises in the GS series (except for triceps...you ROCK!!). Anyway, for the past 3 weeks, I have been following one of your rotations posted a while back that looks like this:

Sun - cardio (changes from week to week)
Mon - GS BSB, Coremax
Tues - cardio (changes from week to week)
Wed - GS Legs standing only (but I do the floorwork too), Coremax, Stretch Max
Thurs - GS CT, light 20 min run (I work out at 4:30am, so running outdoors isn't really an option, so I do 20-25 mins of step or kickboxing instead)
Fri - GS Legs (floorwork only, but I do the entire workout), Pyramid floorwork only (since I do the entire GS workout, I don't usually do this...or I sub Pyramid LB for GS Legs and do that entire workout)
Sat - rest

Okay, so here's my question. Since I've started this rotation, I've definitely noticed gains in my strength (yay!), but I've also put on a little bit of body fat and can't seem to keep my appetite under control. I know, I know, everyone's going to say that I'm gaining muscle, not fat, but my clothes are getting awful snug AND the scale weight has been increasing, so I'm thinking that it's a little bit of both fat gain and muscle gain. While my appetite has been a bit high lately, I do eat very healthy things (tons of fruits and veggies, lots of chicken, high fiber & high protein cereal (very low sugar content), etc.). I am trying to get my body fat % back to where it was about a year ago when I was in tip top shape, but I just can't seem to do it. I need to lose about 5-6 lbs. of body fat and I could really use some suggestions. Also, I feel I should note that I'm only 5'2" and about 118 right now, and while that's an okay weight, it's just not where I'm comfortable. Can you please suggest a rotation that I could start next week when I finish this one that might help me rid myself of this fat? Also, any dietary recommendations you may have would be much appreciated!

I know this is terribly long, and I thank you so much for taking the time to read it.

Oh, one last thing...now that your knee is all better and you're done filming these AWESOME new workouts, I'm definitely going to try to come down to your studio sometime soon! I only live about an hour away and I would LOVE to see the place...and (gasp!) maybe even take a live class with you or one of "the girls"!

I'm noticing the same thing. I'm gaining lots of strength and I know I'm building muscle, but the fat layer just isn't going anywhere. My appetite has also increased and I'm trying very hard to be more aware of what I'm putting in my body. This layer of fat just isn't welcome anymore. Any tips would be helpful.

Try some higher-rep, lighter weight workouts for a while (those with little rest between sets, moving from body part to body part rather than straight sets).

Add one or two (non-consecutive) days of interval cardio (a more efficient fat burner than steady state cardio).

Avoid any processed foods, including cereal (sub with oatmeal or a smoothie).

Try these for about 3 weeks and see if you start to see results, if not, then change things up again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.